Playfair Grant Vibration greenheart rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Playfair Grant Vibration greenheart rod

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thank you. I used my silk line for half a season, probably about 6-8 trips and maintained it well.

I don't know how a broken in silk line is supposed to look / feel. Mine arrived looking like a piece of courelene cord, the cord that used to be used on wooden frames for crab lines. It felt hard and rough compared to a plastic line. I was very careful and particular about maintenance as it was quite expensive, not a cheap Chinese line.

I used it on a variety of rods, cane and carbon fibre. As the season progressed and the trout became fussy, the line was more of a liability. It also sounded very bad for the rod rings. I relegated it in favour of a Cortland 444 Rocket Taper.

I might try it again this season after finding suitable door / bed knobs.

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Sounds like a Terenzio, the initial product is as you say, like stiff sash cord. The broken in product is like a limp, flexible lump. Breaking it in on a smooth metal bathroom towel rack pulling it back and forth (i used to do 20 times per metre or so) a couple of tines a day does the job pretty quick in a couple of days. Sounds like the line still isn't broken in. Silks also make a zipping sound as it goes through the guides - this is a feature and some say one of the charms of the silk lines.
I went all silk for a few years over a dozen years ago, owning Phoenix, Terenzio and Yano lines, Yano being my faves. I Loved them, but i found the sinking aspect (though not a showstopper as i had many) and the end of day maintenance a drag. I eventually auctioned them all off for Let's Tackle Cancer charity, raising over £1000 whrn i started spey fishing more. Obviously they are meant for short river delicate work so if you want to cast 30 yards, silk is the wrong tool.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

:Hat: Thank you. I have a towel rail and I will spend some time in the spring breaking the line in. I don't like the sound of the silk in the rings, particularly when using expensive cane. I only fish at short range, usually less than ten yards.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

One of the advantages of a DT silk trout line is you can turn it round at lunch and have a floating line 'all day'. Peche a Soie are the ones I favour, mostly the half lines (carrying a spare reel/spool)

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:44 pm :Hat: Thank you. I have a towel rail and I will spend some time in the spring breaking the line in. I don't like the sound of the silk in the rings, particularly when using expensive cane. I only fish at short range, usually less than ten yards.
One caveat is that Ian Moxon did not recommend pre-breaking in his lines with the "towel rail" method, just fishing with them. I did anyway with the half length line I bought off ebay from him, and I may have damaged it. Definitely Phoenix, Terenzio and Yanos especially, benefitted from a pre-breakin process. Stuart Tod of Cadno had this contraption which ran his lines over miles of circuit through a system of pulleys but I found that they were still very stiff. I bought some of his lines but never fished with them and auctioned or gave them away.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thanks for the warning. I bought my line from Ian Moxon but I didn't want to upset him by declaring that on a public forum !

I exchanged messages and photos with a very experienced angler who uses only silk and he concluded that my line was badly made :-(

I think I might try the towel rail approach because the line is not going to be used in its current state, I'll let you know what happens.

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

My Ian Moxon Continuous Taper line is now complete!
I should receive it within the week, however both my Playfairs are out of action, the 12' still with Paul Cook, and the recently acquired 15' Playfair is having the rings replaced (all rusted out) and being stripped back for an oiling to keep it moisturised.
With luck I'll be making Planet Casts with a greeheart Playfair Vibration rod within 2 months!
ImageImage

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Glad yours is progressing well, I will have to make my mind up either to keep mine, I haven't really got a use for it, or sell it.

Question - did you revarnish the rod after you had teaked oiled it?

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

I haven't gotten to that stage yet, but I will be applying some (lots of) coats of tru-oil when the rings are done. This will give it a nice shine like a varnish but it will be easier to retreat it with teak if need be in the future. The 12' being refurbed by Paul Cook will also be tru-oil finished. All of my bamboo speys are also oil finished.
What length of Vibration is it? There is a group of enthusiasts in the US who are interested in greenhearts, Vibrations and Grant's methods of casting who may be willing to buy to cast and fish.

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Post by Sevilla315 »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:08 pm Glad yours is progressing well, I will have to make my mind up either to keep mine, I haven't really got a use for it, or sell it.

Question - did you revarnish the rod after you had teaked oiled it?
I did read of an Australian greenheart enthusiast who did exactly that however, he oiled it, then finished it off with a varnish coat.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”