Fishing Gazette

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
2wood
Minnow

Fishing Gazette

Post by 2wood »

While researching my J. Gillett tackle (please see my listings), I came across a significant article on the company and its owner in the 1890 Jan-Jun Volume 20 of the Fishing Gazette - https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... KmAC?hl=en
There, on pages 127,8 was the article.

But, there were also articles on
Foster 91
Martin, Openshaw - Nottingham Reels - 153
Hancock - 292
Hardy - 330

May I suggest that when you retrieve the Volume, read it there and use the search function to get to the manufacturers listed. The search runs quickly, while downloading a pdf file to your PC retrieves the data very, very slowly from a serch.

It might also please you to page through the volume and/or retrieve additional volumes for your reading pleasure.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Fishing Gazette

Post by StefanDuma »

The great pity is that the front and back covers have been removed. These are the real gem with adverts showing new items of tackle. I have about 80 volumes covering from 1880 to 1932 and these have all had the covers removed. The British Library has a full set 1877 to 1961 with the front covers.

I also have a subscription to the British Newspaper Library which has a limited number of years on offer. I think that one day they will all be available on line.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”