Milward's Featherlite

The Milwards Rods forum.
PeterM
Stickleback

Milward's Featherlite

Post by PeterM »

Hi All

My Grandfather, the person who taught me how to fish, used a Milward's Featherlite bamboo/cane rod. I think it was 12 foot, but I remember that he broke the tip and it lost a few inches. Amazingly, if I close my eyes I can see the moment he broke it - not a nice memory though.

Between the Milward's mark and the butt, there's a label which states: A Smith Oxford. Would this have been the retailer, or maker? Also, would the rod have been purchased in the 1950s, or early 1960s. He used it with a KP Morritt Intrepid Continental reel which I am pretty sure was 1950s, unless the experts on here know better. Any info about the rod and the mysterious A Smith would be great.

Thanks.

Peter

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Milward's Featherlite

Post by Olly »

I bought a green Continental in the early 60s.

The Featherlite was described as 'well known' in the ''58 catalogue and the Senior Featherlite was introduced in 1953.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The Intrepid Continental was introduced in May 1959, as announced in this advertisement ...

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The Milward's Featherlite was available in 3 lengths ... 10ft. 6in . ... 12ft. ... 14ft. ... all featuring Milward's famous "Twin Taper Tip."

The butt section of the two longer rods was made of Spanish Reed, not bamboo ... a lighter material, but sometimes prone to be brittle.

Milward's included instructions in their catalogues that rods so constructed were "“designed FOR CONTEST FISHING IN THE U.K. AND MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY FORM OF HEAVY FISHING.”

This picture is of the bend put into my 12ft. version when a small jack pike, of maybe a couple pounds, took a fancy to a small perch I had hooked.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I use a 12' Featherlite and its a lovely rod.
Mark Davies

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The Featherlite was the nicest 12ft cane float rod I ever used.
They made a two piece 11ft version too, I imagine that was a lovely rod to use.

The twin taper tip was altered (improved) on the later rods, with the step down in taper moved closer to the tip end. This could be a good way to date later rods.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Two of my Intrepid Continentals ... with the plastic arbors supplied to allow for different line loading.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Lovely to see posts from the gentlemen WC and AC on this thread and you have encouraged me to move the Featherlite I have up the ranks to ensure it is next for refurbishment.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A. Smith. Oxford was surely the tackle dealer, in fact.....

viewtopic.php?t=20776

The power of Google and its bots!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”