Collecting worms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Collecting worms

Post by Grumpy »

Santiago wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:48 am Use an old car battery (needs to be charged) and starter cables connected to long metal pegs stuck in the ground to at least a foot, with the pegs at least about three feet apart. Plug in and simply wait for the worms to wriggle to the surface.

Never tried it myself but there's a big following of this method in the States.

PS. They refer to worms as night crawlers!
I have heard that wiring two metal poles directly into the mains brings the worms to the surface in no time.Never had the guts to try it myself,I don't want to die!
I find the later at night the better for collecting,they are usually well out of their burrows by then.Another good way of collecting them is to walk slowly along the pavement and look where the paving meets with walls,again late at night when its wet.
Worm gathering can be very satisfying,knowing that you have provided your own bait and all for free.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Yes Catfish.017, my back lawn is no good either. You have to find your patch if you want to be a happy lifetime lobworm collector. The 100 metres of grass in front of St James church is excellent; not only are there plenty of lobs there but the road lights mean that you don’t need a torch to pick them. Another hotspot is a communal patch of grass at the end of the road; the hotspot is under some fruit trees. Where the grass is under a couple of conifers is pretty barren - acid probably……
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

A fellow I know runs a worm supply business.He states that Lobworms can live for up to 15 years.Thats probably older than what we fish for.He also stated that if worms were to become extinct planet Earth would die.A sobering thought when hooking up a huge Molestrangler!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”