River Tone Destruction

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

River Tone Destruction

Post by Dave Burr »

God bless the EA and all that despair at their methods. I've just found this news report and am appalled at their actions on the 'fast section' in Taunton. I have spent many days trotting for roach, dace, chub, and bream there, it was like a little chalk stream of clear water, lots of weed, wildlife and fish. However, the flood budget has far more weight than the preservation side of the EA so, they have decided to make a few changes. Read on.... :Angry:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/anglers-heart ... 54265.html

Crucian
Eel

Re: River Tone Destruction

Post by Crucian »

Well that has really made my day...I too have spent many happy hours, over many years, on that stretch of the Tone.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Discusting, such idiots :Angry:

This was a lovely stretch I used to fish, grayling galore, ruined by the people who are supposed to know better :hairpull:

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

The angler is a bit like the American Indian, always having a piece of nature taken away or destroyed, it is heart breaking i feel for Dominic as i too had a childhood brook i used to fish utterly ruined as a road was built that went over the river exactly at the point of the most beautiful chub swim you could imagine, shallow riffles deepening off in to a lovely run over gravel shaded with weeping willows and a lovely back eddy the only swim on that stretch that could produce chub in numbers without roving it was straightened and covered in concrete both sides with a bridge going over. thirty years later that section is still sterile and devoid of fish.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The EA does it again. I have to say I am baffled and uncinvinced by their attempted justification for their actions (but then that's happening a lot to me lately), why could the trees not simply be stripped back rather than taken out altogether? https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... d-of-trees.
Last edited by Stathamender on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Honestly, nowhere is safe - going to hell in a handcart.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I'm reminded of what Tacitus wrote: They make a wilderness and call it peace. I've been reading Rory Stewart's Twitter feed again, brings out the Latinist in me (O Level 1965).
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Deary deary me :Angry: Hang your heads in shame EA as once again you show your true colours. I can see a day where thinking anglers (not the apathetic sheep) simply refuse to pay for rod licences. Many salmon anglers have been debating this for years as prices have risen and returns decreased dramatically. It appears the EA is controlled and staffed by utter halfwits.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Liphook wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:26 pm Deary deary me :Angry: Hang your heads in shame EA as once again you show your true colours. I can see a day where thinking anglers (not the apathetic sheep) simply refuse to pay for rod licences. Many salmon anglers have been debating this for years as prices have risen and returns decreased dramatically. It appears the EA is controlled and staffed by utter halfwits.
I've had a rod licence every year since 1964 but, if somebody were to organise a mass protest I'd join in a heartbeat.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Sheer vandalism!I used to fish a beautiful small stream years ago.It was stripped bare by the then NRA.It took about twenty years for the banks and channel to re establish itself.
Unfortunately flood prevention comes before anglers and wildlife,surely the EA could consult interested parties before ripping the heart out of watercourses.

Return to “Other Rivers”