Ferrule question....

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Ferrule question....

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:29 pm :doh: A bodge will always be a bodge....and I have done lots. A good rod deserves whole some fittings. Be patient and fit a sound item.Glue or solder has worked in the past for me but on rods of no consequence and it always "greats" that it was not a "proper job". You also risk the chance of damaging all efforts in to remove the repaired ferrule..... is it worth it ???? :doh: Tony.
I don't "bodge" as you put it, I make what I believe to be an effective repair and if it fails in use then I try something else.
If I were repairing such a joint for someone other than myself it would be a new ferrule no question but for my own rods I will try alternative methods as I see fit.

Incidentally "Bodgers" were skilled artisan craftsman making Windsor chair components in the Chiltern beech woods supplying chair makers in and around High Wycombe which became the epicentre of the furniture making industry in this country.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:10 pm
Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:29 pm :doh: A bodge will always be a bodge....and I have done lots. A good rod deserves whole some fittings. Be patient and fit a sound item.Glue or solder has worked in the past for me but on rods of no consequence and it always "greats" that it was not a "proper job". You also risk the chance of damaging all efforts in to remove the repaired ferrule..... is it worth it ???? :doh: Tony.
I don't "bodge" as you put it, I make what I believe to be an effective repair and if it fails in use then I try something else.
If I were repairing such a joint for someone other than myself it would be a new ferrule no question but for my own rods I will try alternative methods as I see fit.

Incidentally "Bodgers" were skilled artisan craftsman making Windsor chair components in the Chiltern beech woods supplying chair makers in and around High Wycombe which became the epicentre of the furniture making industry in this country.
Indeed they were JC. A skill trade roughing out chair parts on a pole lathe. The term "bodge" is a bit of a corruption of the original meaning. A bodger was skilled, but often sightly outside "normal" society. Over time, and due to the fact they only made parts, the term bodge was corrupted to mean somebody who does a bit of a job, or a poor job. Interesting eh?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I'll keep to the context of what I wrote. Advice well meant to he who asked based on my own experience.I am well aware of pole lathe work and chair manufacture origins. A late friend of mine used a mobile home built one to give displays at craft fairs etc.He was indeed very skilled in turning green wood.

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Re: Logo for Harvey Torbett rod

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
I have a Harvey Torbett rod which needs restoration. I can just make out the name. More than half of the lettering has gone.
Should i leave the remnents on or remove them and write on the full name,
Michael

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”