Trudex release cap

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Trudex release cap

Post by Grumpy »

Good evening Gents,
I have just acquired this very good conditioned Trudex from Tengiscol that we both agree has a little mystery about it.As can be seen in the pics it has a very nice machined aluminium release cap instead of the usual plastic one.It appears to have been on for a long while.
We are guessing there are two possible answers to this.
1. It is a factory fitted item.
2.An engineer has machined the cap and fitted it is a replacement.
Whatever the reason,we both agree it is most attractive and is very well made.Do any of the Youngs experts know if this type of cap was ever a factory fitted option in days gone by?
Looking forward to replies.
Thanks for reading,
Grumpy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Trudex release cap

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have seen quite a few and think they were an aftermarket replacement but as to who made them, I dont know.

I do know the two usual reasons for the plastic ones breaking are
(1) snapping the spool back on instead of holding the release lever open to allow the spool to drop back in place. This usually causes the cap to crack around the centre. Very often seen on well used reels.
(2) overtightening the two holding screws. This causes the edges of the screw holes to part ways with the cap, also very often seen.

The new ones available from Garry Mills often need a bit of adjustment to get them running smoothly but they do seem to be made of something stronger. Maybe some form of nylon.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I think they may be machined from Delrin Wallys-Cast ? Certainly a black replacement I have seems to be when compared to a fly reel I have that has side plates manufactured from it? I've seen it referred to as 'engineering nylon'. I agree they look better in aluminium, though bronzed anodising would be even better in my opinion :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes could be Delrin, it seems to be the gun and reel makers choice material these days.
I have seen one of these caps made in brass too but I think it was probably an owner who has access to a lathe.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have a 'metal' release cap - it is on an black Allcocks FLICK-EM. Which has a crinkle faced spool. The release cap is not tapered like the one shown but does have a bright finish.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I can picture a Midlands based engineer in the 50/60's buying a J.W Young's reel and thinking "I can improve on the plastic release cap." He goes ahead and makes one for himself.Maybe he has a lathe at home or can utilise works equipment.When out fishing his mates see the cap and ask him to make some for themselves.Word spreads and a small cottage industry is born.Maybe he sells them privately or persuades Young's to offer them.
A flight of fancy?Probably.There is so much information regarding fishing tackle that has been lost over the years,I suppose because records were not kept or have been lost over time.Anglers certainly are innovative,we are always tinkering with our tackle!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Grumpy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:13 am I can picture a Midlands based engineer in the 50/60's buying a J.W Young's reel and thinking "I can improve on the plastic release cap." He goes ahead and makes one for himself.Maybe he has a lathe at home or can utilise works equipment.When out fishing his mates see the cap and ask him to make some for themselves.Word spreads and a small cottage industry is born.Maybe he sells them privately or persuades Young's to offer them.
A flight of fancy?Probably.There is so much information regarding fishing tackle that has been lost over the years,I suppose because records were not kept or have been lost over time.Anglers certainly are innovative,we are always tinkering with our tackle!
So true Grumpy, just look at the thought and effort that has gone into float improvement over the years.

Wal.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I can vaguely remember there was someone online, selling aluminium replacement caps but can't remember who it was now.
Pete

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning friends,the cost of machining a metal cap may be more expensive than a plastic cap that would have been injection moulded, once the mould is made,the cost say each would be very cheap.Terry Reelmaker.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”