A new pair of braces.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Mr B
Arctic Char

A new pair of braces.

Post by Mr B »

Over the years I have found that a pair of braces is a necessary requirement to stop the constant stopping and pulling my trousers up and tucking my shirt in.
Just ordered a pair of these ones.
I will need some buttons sown on my trousers ( local dry cleaner/ come taker upper)( could do it myself but its only a fiver)
I find the mettle clip on ones "dig in" when driving, sitting or enjoying a pint.
These one are almost James Bondish with a quick release interchangeable fixing.
Thought you TFF Braces Ikes might like them.
Be with me in 4 to 5 days..

Mr B

https://www.trendhim.co.uk/wide-brown-l ... 143-p.html
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: A new pair of braces.

Post by Olly »

I now use braces for my winter fishing trousers - my gut unfortunately - does not allow belts - - but hipsters in the summer are OK!

Braces allow a size or two extra around the waist allowing a variety of things belts cannot!
Shirts being tucked in and staying there - - bending over to pick up you dropped float/lead no longer causes decapitation around the waist - - being able to copy Moley and eat pies!

From using them now for several years - they must be the button version - the clips fail miserably. And be at least 2in wide!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I need me some braces!

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I was told by my grandfather when I was around 14 years old, braces were designed to hold up trousers the correct way, also one should have a waistcoat when wearing a suit. Coming up to 85 I still wear braces and waistcoats.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Martin James wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:31 pm I was told by my grandfather when I was around 14 years old, braces were designed to hold up trousers the correct way, also one should have a waistcoat when wearing a suit. Coming up to 85 I still wear braces and waistcoats.
My Grandfather used to say the same... saying that his trousers were sometimes to high, just under his chest!
Good quality trousers used to come, and still do with buttons inside for braces as you will know Martin.
I love a waist coat too. I have a couple but I put on a few pounds over lockdown and the buttons are popping!
The braces I ordered above have still not come... I got an email today apologising for the delay, and they put £6 back into my account by way of a little compensation and said they will be with me in two days. ( I didn't ask for it, and was surprised)
Your a man about town Martin at 85 and on the bank.
Good on you, its great to see and hear about.
Lovely.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Not so much the man about the town Mr B, but certainly at the waterside, in the country, or as currently working a few hours every day in my daughters garden, which is the size of a cricket pitch. Today I will also be washing and cleaning her vehicle.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Martin James wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:59 am Not so much the man about the town Mr B, but certainly at the waterside, in the country, or as currently working a few hours every day in my daughters garden, which is the size of a cricket pitch. Today I will also be washing and cleaning her vehicle.
Your a busy man Martin!
I have four children, well grown up now.
Two of each.. my eldest daughter (40) lives in Devon so I don't get to see her as much as I would like, my other daughter lives just around the corner ( two grandchildren) so thats nice. My eldest son is in Turkey at the moment and my youngest scuba diving around the Thailand islands at the moment....
Thats a big garden to look after! Plus cleaning the car!
Your need a hat on today, looks like it could be hot one.
Enjoy👍

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Mr B I do have a hat on as its very warm in Brighton today, I am taking out years of ivy, brambles, and various other rubbish including two trees, so that’s a rope job working from the top with a bow saw, I don’t trust myself with a chain saw. My grandson Samuel is keen on angling, Colin Culley gave him a nice centre pin reel, also a cane rod along with another rod, he has one of my baskets. Gobio has given him a basket also a centre pin. Hopefully I can be a role model like my grandfather was to me, My granddaughter Jessica is in Dubai for school holiday with her Dad who works there, as did my Sharon for around 25 years. My reward later this week is a day dry flyfishing a chalk stream. If I manage to get down to the Beult later this year I will let you know, it would be nice to meet up and cook you dinner. Usually I cover the cost of the cottage but with rising costs I cannot do so this year, so no one is interested. Hopefully someone will want week on the Beult . Regards Martin

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Martin James wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:59 am Mr B I do have a hat on as its very warm in Brighton today, I am taking out years of ivy, brambles, and various other rubbish including two trees, so that’s a rope job working from the top with a bow saw, I don’t trust myself with a chain saw. My grandson Samuel is keen on angling, Colin Culley gave him a nice centre pin reel, also a cane rod along with another rod, he has one of my baskets. Gobio has given him a basket also a centre pin. Hopefully I can be a role model like my grandfather was to me, My granddaughter Jessica is in Dubai for school holiday with her Dad who works there, as did my Sharon for around 25 years. My reward later this week is a day dry flyfishing a chalk stream. If I manage to get down to the Beult later this year I will let you know, it would be nice to meet up and cook you dinner. Usually I cover the cost of the cottage but with rising costs I cannot do so this year, so no one is interested. Hopefully someone will want week on the Beult . Regards Martin
Well I hope the tree work went/ going well Martin,
Hard work for a young man!
I was a Tree Surgeon for over thirty years and both my sons are now and have there own business. Very wise not to use a chain saw I have seen some dreadful accidents first hand, not nice. My youngest son almost lost his index finger but they managed to just about save it using some bone from his hip. The hospital wanted to remove it but on account of him playing guitar they saved it.
My business partner put one across his thigh just missing the femoral artery.. he was very lucky to be alive with skin grafts... I best stop there! Thank goodness I am a Tree Officer now and only use them occasionally.
It sounds like your grandson is of to a flying start Martin and hopefully be a "Chip of the old block!"
Its great that he has some fine old fishing tackle to start him off.
I would love to meet up on the Beult if you get down in the cottage and I'm sure I would enjoy your Culinary skills!
Very nice of you Martin.
I did read your post sometime about the cottage you stayed in with friends, but as you say it can work out expensive if your shelling out for it.
Its a lovely part of Kent there and under an hour from my place.
Enjoy your fly fishing and keep me posted re the Beult that would be great.

Mark.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Mark thank you for giving me your Christian name, it’s much more friendly. I have taken down two trees, as you are probably aware there are two types of blades for sawing wood, the one for tree is so much better than the normal one people tend to purchase, another thing I learnt from my grandfather. I have been working from 0700 hrs today until 1200 hrs then had a bacon sandwich with a mug of tea, Half hour later I'm back on the job until now its 1500 hrs time for a brew and some banana cake made without sugar, then I will do another two hours. Tomorrow trout fishing on a small stream close by, Thursday fly fishing a stretch of Upper Avon Regards Martin

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”