Hardy "The No1 FWK Wallis Avon" Pre WWII

The Hardy Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Hardy "The No1 FWK Wallis Avon" Pre WWII

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's utterly gorgeous Wal....I've seen it in the flesh :drool:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

A Wallis Avon with a four section rod bag??

Hi,
Just saw this post - I have a Hardy No.1 Wallis Avon with an original 4 section bag. Mine is not a 4 section rod though but does have 2 original matching tip sections. I know Hardy often offered a spare tip if required on their trout rods and it appears also occaisionally on coarse rods too. Mine is numbered G24812 (1941?) and is whipped in red.

Regards,
Dok

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

It has been wonderful reading the posts and looking at the pictures on this thread. I am sure there is a great desire to use these rods, but for me the ones in the pictures are akin to museum pieces and should be treated accordingly. The rarity and quality must surely mean they must be preserved for posterity.
To risk fishing with them is a tad too far for me. Please tell me they won't be.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I only buy my cane rods to use, I don't abuse them, and use them for the appropriate species.

I have had shoal barbel to 6lb, chub of over 4lb on my Avon No1, and it coped admirably.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I don't think there's any problem using them by anglers who understand and respect them. They should only become museum pieces if they are no longer fishable in my humble opinion.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Dokterhoo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:40 am Image

Hi,
Just saw this post - I have a Hardy No.1 Wallis Avon with an original 4 section bag. Mine is not a 4 section rod though but does have 2 original matching tip sections. I know Hardy often offered a spare tip if required on their trout rods and it appears also occaisionally on coarse rods too. Mine is numbered G24812 (1941?) and is whipped in red.

Regards,
Dok
That’s interesting - any chance of a photo or two?

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

I understand what you guys are saying in respect of using rods of such calibre. Perhaps it's me with the problem. I am a lover of antiques and rods like this fit into that category. Furthermore they are made from natural materials, that is something I consider precious and I don't think I have the dexterity to use them whilst keeping them intact. The funny thing is I have no qualms about using vintage reels. I have a small collection of Rapidex and Trudex and they are used regularly on the Wye.
I just hope that somewhere pristine versions of rods of this ilk are kept safe, as they are part of our history and should be available for future generations to admire in their full glory.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

AllRounder wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:30 am
Dokterhoo wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:40 am Image

Hi,

Regards,
Dok
That’s interesting - any chance of a photo or two?
Hi,
Here are a few (poor) pics,
Hope they help.
Regards,
DokImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

That’s a great find and looks to be all original too. One of the special ones! Thanks for sharing

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Interested to see antique angler's comments as I too have an identical rod without serial number and I agree entirely with his comments.
Steve

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”