Another one with a bit missing!

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Another one with a bit missing!

Post by Catfish.017 »

At the boot sale this morning £3 for an 11' Floatcaster Deluxe split cane and hollow glass with about seven inches gone off the tip. I think I have a four foot glass top that will fit the bill? Rings rather rusty and handle pretty rough but another rescue mission to fire my imagination. The lettering is of the style that normally accompanies the Octopus logo but what remains of the logo is obviously the later "Two Fishes" one.ImageImageImage

Duckett
Tench

Re: Another one with a bit missing!

Post by Duckett »

That’s a nice find despite the damage. I look forward to seeing the restoration.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

In the other current Glass Rods thread I posted a reply about some fibreglass top sections being not quite straight from new. Now this Sealey rod has quite a pronounced curve in the middle section, something I've never seen before. I did consider maybe trying some heat on it but in all honesty I was afraid of causing irreparable damage so decided against it. As it happened with the rod in the fishing position the weight of the top section straightened the mid section nicely. With that and the scruffy handle and a non original butt to middle ferrule, I decided on a light makeover rather than a full refurb. The main work would be to replace the too short top section and happily, under a coat of black paint, the spare four foot glass top I had was a decent match to the original. Just a slight difference in the texture of the weave, however the taper was perfect and with four inches cut off the thick end the ferrule was a good fit. That was after I sorted out the damage I caused with heat and pliers trying to remove it from the old section, forgetting that hollow glass is not as robust as cane!. I eventually drilled it out. A replacement butt ring (legs broken) mid section rings cleaned up and tip section rings rewhipped and one added. It's amazing how that blue thread Sealeys used fades over time. That and a couple of coats of varnish and the colour is unrecognisable. I did the new whipping in blue then used some dyes and paints to mimick the faded look of the remaining originals. Will take some pics later after I've tried the rod out on some canal Bream this afternoon.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Christened the rod with a twelve ounce Roach first cast! Three modest sized Breamfollowed at intervals. I must say I am reasonably impressed by the rod, it's a fair bit crisper than my eleven foot Black Arrow and I wasn't. Really expecting that to be the case. I think the stout split cane butt section helps in that respect. At eleven ounces with a decent length handle it feels
pretty good in the hand. In short I think it may get quite a bit of use over the Summer.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

A couple of pics of the finished rod.ImageImage

The rewhipped butt ring with "antiqued" finish to the blue thread.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

That didn't take long. :Hat: nice work.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

EricW wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 am That didn't take long. :Hat: nice work.
Like a good book, once I start it I can't put it down.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Tubular sections are pulled off a mandrel with some force, it can lead to a slight 'set' in finer tip sections, particularly if not 100% cured

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”