Where to start?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Where to start?

Post by Liphook »

If it really is a beast I'd be rethinking the 6lb line before even attempting a cast. It's disrespectful to undergun and risk leaving a fish tethered or trailing tackle :Hat: Freelined bread flake/worm would be my choice of tactic where at all possible, sound in the knowledge that you've far less chance of snagging on any unseen obstacles when unencumbered by end tackle. Good luck :Thumb:

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

I should have explained the venue a bit more, it's no longer in use as the boatyard is no longer open. It's actually enclosed off from the neighbouring S&Y navigation canal so it will still be in there somewhere. I'll post a picture to show you the layout. The lock gates under bridge Street are permanently closed to my knowledge.

Liphook wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:24 am If it really is a beast I'd be rethinking the 6lb line before even attempting a cast. It's disrespectful to undergun and risk leaving a fish tethered or trailing tackle :Hat: Freelined bread flake/worm would be my choice of tactic where at all possible, sound in the knowledge that you've far less chance of snagging on any unseen obstacles when unencumbered by end tackle. Good luck :Thumb:
There is some slight embellishment in my tale, it was more than likely on the lower side of double figures, however compared to the small Crucians I was having it was a beast. I can assure you, if it was a large Carp I would definitely step up my tackle but I appreciate your concern. I just enjoy spicing up a story for people to enjoy.

Worms could definitely be a good idea to. I may have half a day on the float and the other half freelining.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I have used dough bobbins and cylinders of silver foil as indicators, and can’t get on with either.
I now make bobbins from a short length of elephant grass with a hairgrip embedded in it. A 500mm length of thick, supple silk line attaches the bobbin to a clothes peg, which in turn is clipped onto a rod rest, or any other anchor point. When you get a take and strike, your line comes easily out of the jaws of the hairgip. You can also add a swan shot (or six) below the bobbin to counteract wind. I’d be happy to make you one, if you’d like to try it?
Non-fluo or natural colours are available!

ImageImage
Last edited by Banksy on Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It looks although you could fish almost the whole length of the section. A baited area with freebies - from bread - to corn - wheat - hemp- worms - etc - to flavoured bread/pastry paste! Something cheap as chips - chips they can work.

Then fishing the baited area or areas. Preferably when the feeding bubbles are showing. Nothing nicer than casting to a feeding fish! An indicator on the line - a float or 'blob' will show a bite - bait on the bottom.

If ledgering loads of sorts of bobbin are available - better that something that drops off when you strike than catches in the rings. Hair grips have been used in a variety of ways since they were invented!

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Hmm there's plenty of ideas being recommended to me, thanks everyone. I do have a slight feeling it will take a few sessions to catch the fish if I ever actually do so I will have plenty of time to experiment. I think I will solely float fish tomorrow as I do love watching a float disappear but if I'm unfortunate I shall try ledgering with and without various bobbins. It may even be a case of doing some prebaiting to as it could quite possibly a single carp in the entire stretch.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They should have by now started to spawn and show themselves doing so - a sight that can show the waters potential.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Unless they are really small carp, I would say a 500 and 6lb line is under gunned.
A pond I fish has lots between 5 and 9 lb which go off like rockets and my MKIV Avon in insufficient. I use a MKIV and 8lb line.
My favourite method is surface bread whenever possible. Either a piece of crust or remove the crusts from a slice of white bread and tear it into 2 equal halves. Roll one half around the line above the hook and pinch it closed like a Cornish pasty and pull the hook shank into the roll. Gary Bills taught me this and calls it the flake bomb. Easy to cast, floats brilliantly and stays on the hook a long time and takes many re casts.
Second choice is Bakers Meaty Meals which are hookable and float really well.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Snape wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:23 pm Unless they are really small carp, I would say a 500 and 6lb line is under gunned.
A pond I fish has lots between 5 and 9 lb which go off like rockets and my MKIV Avon in insufficient. I use a MKIV and 8lb line.
My favourite method is surface bread whenever possible. Either a piece of crust or remove the crusts from a slice of white bread and tear it into 2 equal halves. Roll one half around the line above the hook and pinch it closed like a Cornish pasty and pull the hook shank into the roll. Gary Bills taught me this and calls it the flake bomb. Easy to cast, floats brilliantly and stays on the hook a long time and takes many re casts.
Second choice is Bakers Meaty Meals which are hookable and float really well.
I can step up the line no problem but I don't have a stronger rod, I was hoping to snatch up one at the Yorkshire fair to target Barbel but I was unable to go. I'm unsure of what to do regarding that?

That method sounds wonderful, floating bread may work perfectly as there's plenty of people feeding it to the ducks.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Olly wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:22 pm They should have by now started to spawn and show themselves doing so - a sight that can show the waters potential.
I go past the canal 3 times a week on the way to Boxing so I should probably start keeping my eye out for any signs.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

The 500 is an Avon rod so may prove to be undergunned if it's a big carp.I would up the line to at least 8lb or 10lb if there are snags.If ledgering a small tube of silver paper as an indicator will be fine.Watch some Chris Yates vids and you will get my drift.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”