Dads fishing basket

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Dads fishing basket

Post by Pallenpool »

Very nice indeed, I wonder how many are out there? Judging by the build quality I’d say a fair few.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That is a cracker.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Barbelseeker wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:29 pm Went to pick up a Hucknall/Rolls Royce centrepin last night and look over a few rods someone had for sale. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an old fishing basket and immediately recognised it as one of my fathers. Rather soiled and dirty but in what was otherwise a good example of one of his Cane and wicker baskets.

Anyway - a good power wash and here is the result:

It needs a bit more scrubbing and some linseed oil (my first use of this) and its a valued user for Ravensfield.
Wonderful, how nice. A lovely looking thing and clearly built to last. A question if I may - how do you know your dad made it? Quality, size, colour? I'd love to know
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Bare corner post tops which support the lid, extremely tight weave with willow around corner posts, not kinked. Weave to bottom 4" and also weave about 4 inches from top, placement of nails holding willow to legs/corner posts, picking of willow (picking means cutting off the ends) - twisted willow hinges.

After washing and varnishing, I would estimate some 5000 - I could almost tell his by the feel.

I will post photo's on these points later. Off to bed now - fishing in the morning.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

How nice is that, what a find!
Lovely looking basket, you must be very proud of him.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

That looks superb, well done in finding it Peter :clap:
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

A lovely find ,the workmanship looks far more sturdy than most square fishing baskets.
It is the relative flimsyness of most baskets which puts me off using them, they usually seem to distort and end up out of square when sat upon.
Your fatheres basket looks as though it will retain its square profile even after extended use , the tightness of the weave , different weave pattern and more robust thickness of the materials used make it quite recogniseable I would agree .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A really wonderful find and one that will be great to use, evoking happy memories of your dad.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Sat May 28, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

How lovely to find that unexpectedly Peter. It's beautiful!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”