How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:35 pm I had a Barbour motorcycle jacket years ago... padded, armoured, it was a copy of the ISDT (International Six Day Trials) gear... Loaned it to my brother to and he flogged it for a shedload of limbs... be worth a fortune now
I remember being refused service because I was wearing a Barbour motorcycle jacket in a Bournemouth pub in the 70s.

And now they are sold at crazy prices to the rich and (in)famous

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Not the b*****y Barbour debate again please………
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Its about £10 to have my hair cut nowadays. :Hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mark wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 pm Its about £10 to have my hair cut nowadays. :Hahaha:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: I started cutting my own during the first lockdown. It’s funded an Allcocks Holdwell and a Bruce & Walker Trotter! :Chuckle:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I do not wear a Barbour coat myself, but I recently acquired one that came with a Barbour Thornproof repair kit (minus the tin of wax dressing) apparently the kits are collectable :surrender: I have not seen a kit before, so I have posted a couple of pictures together with the jacket. Both of them will be going to the next tackle fair and I am confident that they will be bought by a Barbour enthusiast! Nostalgia is a big factor in the purchase of many traditional items, I don't pass judgement I just try to supply the item's! :Hat: ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Flog it at the Game Fair Ted.You'll get a shedload of cash!!!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:40 pm
Mark wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 pm Its about £10 to have my hair cut nowadays. :Hahaha:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: I started cutting my own during the first lockdown. It’s funded an Allcocks Holdwell and a Bruce & Walker Trotter! :Chuckle:

Phil
Strewth, how often do you get your hair cut? During lockdown I went about once, maybe twice and rarely have it down more than three or four times a year.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Phil
Strewth, how often do you get your hair cut? During lockdown I went about once, maybe twice and rarely have it down more than three or four times a year.
About every 4 weeks Dave! Over two years, it adds up. I used to have an office above a retired theatrical hairdresser in Leeds. Jim missed the work and chatting, so opened up a small shop. Every time he was empty and spotted me going out, he’d call me in and give me a trim! He used to say, “Everyone knows you work above me, your hair has to be perfect! I can’t risk me reputation!” Over two years, all it cost me was a pint every so often! You can get used to having a trim at least once a week and I’ve never stopped liking it! So, now I use a Wahl trimmer …….. covered the cost of that before bought the 2 rods!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Duckett wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:59 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Phil
About every 4 weeks Dave! Over two years, it adds up. I used to have an office above a retired theatrical hairdresser in Leeds. Jim missed the work and chatting, so opened up a small shop. Every time he was empty and spotted me going out, he’d call me in and give me a trim! He used to say, “Everyone knows you work above me, your hair has to be perfect! I can’t risk me reputation!” Over two years, all it cost me was a pint every so often! You can get used to having a trim at least once a week and I’ve never stopped liking it! So, now I use a Wahl trimmer …….. covered the cost of that before bought the 2 rods!

Phil
I remember it's costing me nothing for years because my Mam use to cut it till I was about 12, then one day I would not let her cut it anymore. It was the 70's and I wanted the long haired Georgie Best look. :Hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Grumpy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:34 pm Flog it at the Game Fair Ted.You'll get a shedload of cash!!!
I don't do Game Fairs, just Romsey or Redditch. It will sell because it will be a bargain price! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”