Colin Willock

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Catfish.017
Eel

Colin Willock

Post by Catfish.017 »

I wonder has anyone read Colin Willocks book" Landscape with Figure"

Troydog
Tench

Re: Colin Willock

Post by Troydog »

The name rings a bell Catfish.017, he’s an angling writer from the 60’s isn’t he?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Yes, I've read it.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Yes I've read it and have a copy. 'Landscape with Solitary Figure'.
I remember enjoying it and I keep meaning to reread it.
Pete

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:06 am I wonder has anyone read Colin Willocks book" Landscape with Figure"
Yes, it's really well written, very good and highly evocative. I'd recommend it to the panel. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I spotted it for sale on that auction site. Just now I did a search on just books typing in the author only. I didn't realise Colin Willock was such a prolific and well travelled writer. Loads of titles available but curiously not the one I mention.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

There are loads of copies but the full title is "Landscape with Solitary Figure"
Pete

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Apart from being an author and journalist and all round country sportsman he wrote for mags like shooting times and was a TV producer for ITV and produced over 500 programs mainly I think about natural history, he lived well into his 80’s , from memory he built a modern ‘punt gun’ which he used for shooting wildfowl. He would have worked in the same era as when Jack Hargreaves, Terry Thomas etc appeared on tv.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Rutland Rod wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:52 pm Apart from being an author and journalist and all round country sportsman he wrote for mags like shooting times and was a TV producer for ITV and produced over 500 programs mainly I think about natural history, he lived well into his 80’s , from memory he built a modern ‘punt gun’ which he used for shooting wildfowl. He would have worked in the same era as when Jack Hargreaves, Terry Thomas etc appeared on tv.
Firearms being a forbidden forum topic l'll just say that He and Jack Hargreaves, being friends and moving in the same TV and media circles, built a punt together and wrote a book about it. It's not a particuarly satisfying book .

I mentioned a while back on another post that l met him once. I just briefly passed the time of day with him but watching him interact with others gave the impression that though he must've needed a fair bit of drive to hold his own in the media world he was by nature a very polite and Gentlemanly man.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”