How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Re: How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Post by SooperClooper »

The Barbour Solway Zipper with the high price is advertised as being in Japan!! If it were a first edition white label version in good condition and even better a 7 studded version (the very first) it would indeed be worth a lot to a collector, the one for sale doesn't have the full length seam down the back, double stitched shoulders or bellows pocket front panels so it's not that early so not worth anything near what it's advertised for!!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mark wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 pm
I remember it's costing me nothing for years because my Mam use to cut it till I was about 12, then one day I would not let her cut it anymore. It was the 70's and I wanted the long haired Georgie Best look. :Hahaha:
Mark with a George Best, now that would be a sight to behold. As for having it cut every few weeks :shocked: I get mine cut when my hat won't fit :Hat:

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:41 pm
Mark wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:29 pm
I remember it's costing me nothing for years because my Mam use to cut it till I was about 12, then one day I would not let her cut it anymore. It was the 70's and I wanted the long haired Georgie Best look. :Hahaha:
Mark with a George Best, now that would be a sight to behold. As for having it cut every few weeks :shocked: I get mine cut when my hat won't fit :Hat:
I get a grade 4 every few weeks to ensure my hat size remains 7 1/8 thus ensuring my hat stays put no matter how strong the wind. :Thumb:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Had a Barbour a long time ago. Lasted for years but prefer modern coats now, more waterproof, dont go stiff and dont smell.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Ally wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:03 pm Had a Barbour a long time ago. Lasted for years but prefer modern coats now, more waterproof, dont go stiff and dont smell.
I don't think most people would argue against what you have said, but as I said in an earlier post, nostalgia is popular! Modern materials are superior whether it be for clothing, fishing rods, fishing reels, fishing seats/chairs etc,etc. TFF members favour traditional materials and methods, despite some of the known drawbacks. Personal choice is what keeps us coming back for more of the old things! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Barbour are very well known for their waxed jackets,though seemingly not so for their breathable modern coats.I have two.A winter weight one with warm lining and a lighter summer weight coat.They are both unwaxed.I am not sure what material they are made of.They are very comfortable to wear and are waterproof and windproof.I think that they look quite smart.I love them!.I have a Solway Zipper somewhere that i bought in the late 1980s i guess.My next Barbour waxed jackets were Beauforts.They have a large poachers pocket at the back which i used for bait (mostly bread) when stalking chub.I still have a Barbour Beaufort though have not worn it much since i bought the "new"fabric coats.

Most Barbour jackets are named.I have just looked.The winter weight one is the "Lorton" the lighter weight is the "Spoonbill".The latter has the original coloured tartan lining.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Living 10 miles from the original Belstaff factory in Stoke, my neighbour remembers buying " second" jackets for £8.

It was soon after purchase by the new Russian owners that prices passed £300

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

I bought one of the new "Barbour Breathables" as they were known, I think it was called a Lightweight Endurance, very comfortable and waterproof for about 18 months!!!! Then I noticed the small label, "Made in Bulgaria"!!!!!!!!!!!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I have a well used 1989 44in Solway Zippper if anyone is interested? Its complete with belt, unused and like new hood and original repair tin. If we can agree a suitable price I will donate it to the TFF coffers. Send me a PM if you'd like to know more, add an email or WhatsApp details for pictures as I can't post them up on here :Hat:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

I have one of the breathable Barbours which looks similar to the wax jackets. A bit old and tattered now but still worn. Last winter I bought a Paramo jacket which I think is very good. One thing I will say for the wax cotton, it really is thornproof and you never need worry about puncturing it. With goretex etc youre terrified of sticking a blackthorn spine in it.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”