Failing to catch Tench (again!)

This forum is for discussing tench.
GameKeeper
Bleak

Re: Failing to catch Tench (again!)

Post by GameKeeper »

Back home after my early morning Tench fishing session,a BLANK to HOT and they were spawning.
Will be back next week

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Plenty of Tench to be caught at Snitterfield Reservoir just outside Stratford on Avon which can be fished on a Leamington AA ticket. The Tench run apparently to 4lbs although my best is 2,8lbs. Not unusual to catch 10 or 12 Tench in a day which is hard work for anglers like me who prefer a more relaxed approach.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I managed two good Tench from the aforementioned pool this morning, one at around 4.45 am the other at 10.15 am! In between I hooked and lost seven of those B....Y Carp. Even changing up to eight pound line made no difference! I've just emailed Staff's County Council to express my disgust at the situation.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Old Wulf had a PB there yesterday Dave. Thoroughly deserved since he puts the time, energy and considerable thought into his fishing, starting at 3.00 in the morning !!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

I've never fished a gravel pit for tench, so have no real feel for the times they feed. I only know what I have read or seen on videos. The tench fishing I have carried out over the last 40+ years has been on what is usually described as "estate lakes" and reservoirs. On all these waters the best feeding time has been morning. I am not suggesting that you can't catch at other times of the day, just that the prime time is a morning.
As such it is my normal practice to get there before first light and proceed to prepare my chosen swim, that normally means a quick dragging followed by some bait going in. In truth over the years I've probably caught more tench after 8.00 a.m. than before, but I firmly believe that it can take a while for tench to build up the necessary confidence to feed on the bait with gusto. It is my belief that getting bait in early is crucial.
Accordingly, as long my body allows it, I shall continue with this approach. And anyway and perhaps just as importantly, there is no better time to be beside a lake. The things you see as a lake and its' surroundings wake up are truly wonderful.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Spot on Old Wulf….
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”