River Roding 2022

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Andyac
Ruffe

River Roding 2022

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
I have requested four Wednesdays off from work to fish castles evening summer league on the roding , 2 at the bottom end and 2 at the top end.in June and early July. 18.05 to 21:00. I did manage one last season with 5ozs. hope to do much better this season. I must ask the club why the EA have added 6 steps to the weir in the top stretch at a big cost. I can't see the benefit. Anyway rain tonight and all next week from the long range forecast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyac
Ruffe

Re: River Roding 2022

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
I am out on the 16th June hopefully and will fish Castles Roding bottom end stretch and find a deeper area in the top end in the afternoon as the evening matches are spread between the two areas,,bottom and top. If the Rain forecast persists it could be OK . Will report success or failure

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
Fished a new swim near the end off castles stretch on the 16th and when a friend turned up with a can of ice cold cider the fishing took a back seat. Yes I could fished the flyers but what's the point if you draw last in the castles summer league. Years ago I found a swim 0.9 miles from the entry point with a different club and in winter it was a sure thing with perch over 1.5lb and chub over 2.5lb. Aitch was right the river level was low and I had a small pike on worm and 3 small roach on punch . The level station at high ongar said 0.88m on the ea website which means slight flow at castles bottom stretch however there was no flow so may be the new stepped weir is altering my understanding of the level . The swim I fished was 5ft deep and I fished half depth and on the bottom. The first leg of the summer league is on the bottom stretch Wednesday 22nd 18:00-21:00. I almost forgot I had a crayfish but he came off as I was bringing it in. Will post the result.
Tight lines to anyone getting out anywhere.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
We had the 1st leg of 4 Roding evening matches last Wednesday at the bottom stretch and it was won with 1lb 5ozs with a Chub. I had 4 roach and a perch for 3ozs. It was low and clear.. This week we are at the top end and hope the weights are better especially my own.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

resized-20220705071709-2.jpg
Hi All
I fished the 2nd leg of the Roding summer league and came first with 2lb 11ozs. I found a comfortable swim about 5ft deep with a over hanging tree and to the left and rushes all around. I caught a little pike of about 2ozs on worm immediately. I didn't put any feed out . There was loads of fry on top and little pike attacking them. It got to 20.30 with half hour left and i thought this is a disaster and worst than the week before..With less than 20 minutes left i tried my little dibber under the overhanging branches and a little pike attacked my float and straight after it went under and I expected a pike and it was a Chub, then a Roach then a bigger Chub on my light rig. 3rd leg evening match tomorrow at the bottom section.
Tight Lines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

As someone who knows that little river I understand what a great catch that is, well done!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends,the two fish look a real prize ,more photos well done.Reelmaker.

NickH76
Stickleback

Post by NickH76 »

Hi everyone, does anyone know if you are allowed to fish the river Roding by Abridge? I’ve tried investigating online but can’t find any clubs that run that stretch.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

NickH76 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:18 pm Hi everyone, does anyone know if you are allowed to fish the river Roding by Abridge? I’ve tried investigating online but can’t find any clubs that run that stretch.
I also did some investigating a few years ago - I was looking at the stretch around Abridge and the one near the Redbridge Roundabout at the junction of the North Circular and the M11. I can only find ODAS and Castle AC who control any stretches of the Roding and theirs are all north of Abridge. From Abridge into London, no clubs appear to control it. However, I suspect that until you get to outer London, it runs through private land. From just before the North Circular southwards, mush of the bank is accessible to the public. I’d be tempted to give it a try as I’m not beyond a spot of urban fishing but I don’t think I’d risk it on my own. Fredline lives very close to it near the roundabout.

I should have added, I’ve fished the ODAS stretch several times and never had a bite!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

NickH76 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:18 pm Hi everyone, does anyone know if you are allowed to fish the river Roding by Abridge? I’ve tried investigating online but can’t find any clubs that run that stretch.
I was always told that the Roding is free fishing downstream of Passingford Bridge all the way to the Thames. :Thumb:

Return to “River Roding”