Another Carp for the Findale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Another Carp for the Findale.

Post by Catfish.017 »

On Friday I beat the alarm clock again and was fishing by 4.15am! The canal at Chasewater the venue, it's elusive Tench the quarry. History repeated itself and by 6.30 am I was considering my options as only one tiny Perch had succumbed to my offerings which included fresh casters. I wondered about Marklews Pond but that had let me down last time too. I was sure I would get bites at the 'New' pond but would I land anything?
Ivan Marks' advice came into my head " get the bites first, worry about landing them after!" The 'New Pond ' it was then and calm and serene it looked in the still early, hazy light. Then those blinking Carp started showing themselves, rolling and bow waving on the surface,daring me to feed them!
Feed them I did, a shower of casters and hemp over the top of four balls of mashed bread. The Findale was tackled up with thin six pound line on the Perfection Flick'em, a small quill float and a size 12 with two casters and a maggot. Little in the way of bubbling occurred and fishing over the feed, the float remained motionless. But a risky cast right alongside the lily pads produced a quick response and a Carp shooting straight out before realising its mistake and doing an about turn first for the Alder on my right then the pads to the left. All this put an alarming bend in the aluminium rod but it seemed to cope. This fish was a little smaller than the general run but still gave me some anxious moments before I got it in the net. Around five pounds I would guess, almost a leather, hardly any scales at all.
The swim took a while to settle down after the commotion but then another slide away bite in the same spot had me tensing up for another tussle before a five inch Perch came bristling to hand! Happily the next bite which was rather slow to develop saw me attached to what I had came for and a lovely dark green two pound Tench was mine. Happy now and able to relax and savour the remainder of the session I still pondered the lack of bubbling as previously the Tench had generated some impressive 'fizzing'?
Occasionally a Carp would move in and send up a good burst of bubbles then I would reel in and wait for it to go. Late on with the surface untroubled by any disturbance, the float buried and another Tench was mine. Slightly larger maybe two and a half pounds?
What has been particularly pleasing here is the absence of repeat captures indicating hopefully a reasonable head of Tench present? The rod too is gradually winning over my affections proving itself well up to the rough stuff whilst retaining a degree of finesse for the Crucians and Roach and retaining enough of a vintage appearance to keep me happy.

SussexMan
Bleak

Re: Another Carp for the Findale.

Post by SussexMan »

Just love those words about the occasional carp: "...I would reel in and wait for it to go..." There are places today where you'd be sectioned for such eccentric, wise behaviour.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Lovely write up Catfish, thank you :Hat:

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

In my mind, I can't get used to metal rods not taking a set after extreme exertions such as this. Presumably that is because they are tubular? I presume that once they exceed maximum load that they would just fold rather than set. I've not tried my Taperflash yet, a bit nervous to be honest.
Anyway, nice work Catfish, good to see you getting a few tench out from among those pesky carp.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

SussexMan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:01 am Just love those words about the occasional carp: "...I would reel in and wait for it to go..." There are places today where you'd be sectioned for such eccentric, wise behaviour.
There are some who would say I Should have been sectioned long ago! It's those blinkered Carp Puddle fanatics who should have the men in white coats after them!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Liphook wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:16 pm Lovely write up Catfish, thank you :Hat:
My pleasure Liphook. How's the Sea Trouting going this year?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

EricW wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:40 am In my mind, I can't get used to metal rods not taking a set after extreme exertions such as this. Presumably that is because they are tubular? I presume that once they exceed maximum load that they would just fold rather than set. I've not tried my Taperflash yet, a bit nervous to be honest.
Anyway, nice work Catfish, good to see you getting a few tench out from among those pesky carp.
Yes it is a bit disconcerting when the rod takes on a good bend, the glass top goes almost straight when the aluminium mid section starts to bend. It's not an attractive curve as it displays quite a flat spot but it all seems to work ok.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”