Catfish in the Trent.

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Catfish in the Trent.

Post by Olly »

Wels and zander eat crays along with many indigenous fish species as well as avian ones! Possibly why we have big perch and chub?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

There speak the voices of apathy and EA I wonder? Roll over and have them tickle our bellies? I personally think not.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Olly, no doubt many of our native species feed upon and grow big as a result. Looking at the record books both species are increasing in size. Interestingly I've also recorded water vole feeding upon them. It's rare but documented in a few rare cases.

Liphook, no sure if your comments apply to me? If so they are simply my personal views. No more, no less. I'm simply pointing out the facts of the matter. Some alien species are here to stay and its unlikely that we'll ever be rid. Can you eradicate signals for example? Not a chance in river catchments. There isn't an suitible method? Not that I'm aware of. Should we slow the spread where we can? Absolutely.
Fish eradication is difficult at the best of time. In system where these fish have started to "settle" its impossible to now remove in my opinion. How do you get all the catfish from the trent? If you've got a method I would like to know more.
In other case, top-mouth gudgeon for example (in stillwaters) its feasible although I expect quite costly and time consuming.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The EA seem to be fanatical about top-mouth gudgeon - which can do immense damage.

See below:-
Topmouth Gudgeon are native to Asia, but have spread rapidly throughout Europe. The invasive fish poses a significant threat to the ecology and wildlife of our rivers and lakes, and the fisheries that they support. The Environment Agency is carrying out a programme to eradicate the species from our waterways.9 May 2019

I wonder how far they have succeeded.

There is/has been an attempt to put sterilised crays in waters to reduce the fertile females population.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I will point out that Wels were here before any fishery byelaws -- and before any of us were born!!

Zander in the shape of the American Walleye were also here before the 1930s. There is/was a British Record.

Grayling are a 'foreign' species to many rivers as well having been introduced in the late 1800s amongst others to Scotland!

To that we can add barbel and chub, etc, etc, - - - - human interference all over!

RobGoodwin
Minnow

Post by RobGoodwin »

This reports confirms the presence of catfish in the Trent. And they are growing....See
https://ananglersdiary.wordpress.com/

I haven't posted for a while onhere due to ill health and hospitalisation.

regards, Rob

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

RobGoodwin wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:37 pm This reports confirms the presence of catfish in the Trent. And they are growing....See
https://ananglersdiary.wordpress.com/

I haven't posted for a while onhere due to ill health and hospitalisation.

regards, Rob
Thanks for sharing this Rob, I wonder how long before we see a 100 pounder from the Trent.

I'm sorry to hear you have been unwell and sincerely hope that you are on the mend :Thumb:

Return to “River Trent”