A catch from within the shadows

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

A catch from within the shadows

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Last night's rain had certainly freshened things up. Down here in the south, people, like myself are starting to forget what rain looks and feels like. We still need a lot more of it that's for sure. Where I scouted for a fish this morning was rich with fauna and flora, and I bet they all appreciated a little water. 🌧️

Jungle warfare fishing is very risky, you're gambling a long wait that could potentially end in seconds, especially when fishing for chub or barbel. It is heart racing stuff, dramatic, challenging and sometimes rewarding.

So here I am, nestled in the verdant woodland right in the thick of it, knowing a decent fish may be in the shadows. Almost an hour later, I felt two sharp plucks on my finger which was followed up by keen strike, and the cane instantly went into a full hoop. That unmistakable, lunge and sheer acceleration for freedom from a barbel was identified in an instant.

Now man v beast, it was game on. By not giving a fish too much freedom can be quite intimidating, after all barbel have the advantage, they're schooled to escape, but it has to be done or they'll lead you down a devious route and truly stuff you up, making you feel a little impassioned!

Allowing the cane to work the fish into a tired state, and as best as I could, hold it back from cover, my gamble eventually paid off with a cracking barbel in the net.

Any Gt Ouse barbel is always going to be a special catch, and from what I have witnessed of late in person, some fine young barbel are now amongst our waters. I have my fingers crossed for them that in years to come they safely grow into mighty torpedoes 🀞🎣
IMG_20220731_090630_182_copy_800x588.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: A catch from within the shadows

Post by Paul F »

Glad to hear you have enough water in the ouse to finally get out, and bag a cracking barbel, well done πŸ‘

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Great stuff, as always. Well done.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is a lovely looking fish, well done! Just out of interest did you weigh it? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Thanks Fredline πŸ‘

Paul, I walked my dogs the following the day along that same part of the river and it had dropped three inches! I haven't been back since to check, I know it's not fished at all there, but I'll keep an eye on the levels this week into next.

Lea, thank you. I did weight it and it was a double figure fish, not a scratch on it or scale out of place. πŸ‘
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Vito, your patience paid off once again. Lovely looking fish.

Wal.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Excellent fishing and an even better write up, thoroughly enjoyed it

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Great fishing and write up!
Where the willows meet the water...