The holy grail of rods!!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
EricW
Perch

Re: The holy grail of rods!!

Post by EricW »

Don't go to heaven Neil, you won't know anybody. :Hahaha:
:laugh1:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

In fairness to the buyer, he has picked up a quality rod with notable pedigree. JB Walker (Hythe, Kent) were supplying Richard Walker with rod building materials and blanks long before the association with B James…..
Congratulations on your fine purchase sir…..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but could someone indulge me... Where are Marks I, II and III?
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MWithell wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but could someone indulge me... Where are Marks I, II and III?
It is well documented... somewhere :Confused: RW designed his carp rod as an engineer and set about building a mathematical design. He was not happy with either of the first three but, settles on the Mkiv, the rest is history. I believe that the Mkiii is still around somewhere but forget who owns it.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Perhaps Mr Ball?

Leigh
Dace

Post by Leigh »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:22 am
MWithell wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:23 am I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but could someone indulge me... Where are Marks I, II and III?
It is well documented... somewhere :Confused: RW designed his carp rod as an engineer and set about building a mathematical design. He was not happy with either of the first three but, settles on the Mkiv, the rest is history. I believe that the Mkiii is still around somewhere but forget who owns it.
I'm not sure if this link helps, but very informative of the variants.

https://www.carpology.net/article/featu ... ollecting/
@theimperialangler

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Many thanks. I was pretty confident of getting an answer here. I remember over 40 years ago an engineer telling me never to buy Mark I of anything!
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MWithell wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:07 pm Many thanks. I was pretty confident of getting an answer here. I remember over 40 years ago an engineer telling me never to buy Mark I of anything!
:Hahaha: Good advice.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

As said it looks to be a J.B. Walker Kit, measure the handle to get some idea of what Mk1v model it is

24in = Avon --- 27in = Carp and 30in the S/U.

J.B.Walker catalogue page from 1963-4

P Hardwick
Minnow

Post by P Hardwick »

I went to see a man yesterday who is in Ashbourne Derbyshire who has all his life been committed to vintage fishing rods/reels etc. He bought the Fosters name out when they shut, he concludes it is a JB Walker kit rod, with 27" handle (so a carp rod). I took some stick on this thread (totally unjustified) as i told people what i had been told from the seller. Anyway matter closed in my eyes, i may pop in from time to time, however this forum (like many) seems to be if your face fits okay. Thanks for the mainly negative responses and bye.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”