Ambidex Mk 6 question.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Ambidex Mk 6 question.

Post by Catfish.017 »

I picked one of these up at the boot sale last Sunday for next to nothing. It felt a bit ropey at first but on dismantling the only thing wrong is the rotor shaft retaining clip is missing. I've not had much experience with these reels but I suspect it would be an E clip rather than a Circlip which would be fiddly to fit in the confined space. Can anyone confirm my thoughts and maybe the size which again, I would guess is imperial (given its age and British manufacture). It looks around a quarter of an inch?

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Ambidex Mk 6 question.

Post by Moley »

Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:03 pm I picked one of these up at the boot sale last Sunday for next to nothing. It felt a bit ropey at first but on dismantling the only thing wrong is the rotor shaft retaining clip is missing. I've not had much experience with these reels but I suspect it would be an E clip rather than a Circlip which would be fiddly to fit in the confined space. Can anyone confirm my thoughts and maybe the size which again, I would guess is imperial (given its age and British manufacture). It looks around a quarter of an inch?
Hi Catfish

Not sure what you are looking for but hopefully the Ambidex Mark Six schematic here will help:

By expanding the image the boys you require should be seen

Hope this helps?

As ever .........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yep, circlip by the look of it . Thanks Mr Mole.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Voila!

Not just any old circlip, but a type that can be fitted from the side. I presume the split in the inner loop is correct, but I have no others to compare it to, earlier reels used a castle nut.

I had almost given up after finding the Ambidex box has split and all its content were at the bottom of the large Mitchell box it was within. It was literally the last of dozens of tiny pieces after lifting out a whole benchfull of Mitchell crap.

Then I had to straighten it out........

Just pm me your address and I'll get it posted, but it may well be delayed by the PO strike on the 31st. Our PO doesn't open Saturdays anymore.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Nobby wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:08 pm Voila!

Not just any old circlip, but a type that can be fitted from the side. I presume the split in the inner loop is correct, but I have no others to compare it to, earlier reels used a castle nut.

I had almost given up after finding the Ambidex box has split and all its content were at the bottom of the large Mitchell box it was within. It was literally the last of dozens of tiny pieces after lifting out a whole benchfull of Mitchell crap.

Then I had to straighten it out........

Just pm me your address and I'll get it posted, but it may well be delayed by the PO strike on the 31st. Our PO doesn't open Saturdays anymore.

Nobby PM sent.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”