IRRITABLE BOWELL.

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Brown
Rudd

IRRITABLE BOWELL.

Post by Russell Brown »

Just for a change an English reel c1945,firmly in my favourite category......'Oddball'.The BOWELL AUTOREEL has a novel half-bale that flips out with a back wind half turn,but doesn't have full back wind capability.The spool is nicely machined aluminium.It's gear mechanism is very basic but functions well.One thing though,with every turn of the handle the bale mechanism clicks once.I only got this reel today so I don't know if that's how it should operate.Also I'm not sure if the drag washers are correct.Any info please chaps...

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: IRRITABLE BOWELL.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, as I keep saying, I've never seen, or even heard of those before.
Unlike some of your "oddball" reels the Bowell autoreel is very attractive.
I would love to know how it performs.

Thanks for posting.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I think that c1945 as a manufacturing date might be about a decade early but will stand corrected.
I had a couple of these given to me by an angler who just couldn’t get on with them-and you are right; they look good and seem quite well made but have big flyers (rotors) and spools. The mechanism design makes it “clunky” to use when spinning and distracts from the fishing.

After a few trial outings, I found their imbalance of running very irritating to the point that I couldn’t get on with them either and gave them away soon after without any regrets.

Some interesting ideas but a novelty, not a practical reel for hard work on a river..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Here's some details re the patent, sorry about the poor quality of the print. :Hat: Image
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Watermole+ wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:59 pm I think that c1945 as a manufacturing date might be about a decade early but will stand corrected.
I had a couple of these given to me by an angler who just couldn’t get on with them-and you are right; they look good and seem quite well made but have big flyers (rotors) and spools. The mechanism design makes it “clunky” to use when spinning and distracts from the fishing.

After a few trial outings, I found their imbalance of running very irritating to the point that I couldn’t get on with them either and gave them away soon after without any regrets.

Some interesting ideas but a novelty, not a practical reel for hard work on a river..

wm+
Yes Watermole you're probably right about the date.I had a quick finger..........................through Graham Turners 'Ultimate' book and 1945 was the Pat App date.If it was EARLY 1945,the aluminium would've built Spitfires and not fishing reels.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Harry H wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:49 pm Here's some details re the patent, sorry about the poor quality of the print. :Hat: Image
Thanks Mr H 👍

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I have had a few of these in the past and they are odd but well made. They were first patented in 1945 and came with 3 different bale arms. A half and full bale arm and a loop. The loop bale arm was a peculiar looking thing but performed very well. I have never seen a full bale arm version.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Fredline wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:37 am I have had a few of these in the past and they are odd but well made. They were first patented in 1945 and came with 3 different bale arms. A half and full bale arm and a loop. The loop bale arm was a peculiar looking thing but performed very well. I have never seen a full bale arm version.
Thanks Fredline.3 bale versions is surprising.I've only seen images of the 'loop' model.When I imagine the handle being turned it makes me think of Robbie the Robot.I purchased another French Rumer FSR yesterday,model 201,from Obay.Very nice condition and an absolute steal.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

A very interesting old reel with a catchy name.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

May I congratulate you on an excellent punning subject title :Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”