Reel Time - Christopher Yates

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Rutilus
Roach

Re: Reel Time - Christopher Yates

Post by Rutilus »

I agree entirely Walkerburt. Still, as long as those purchasing are fully aware then that's their choice. Rather like the endless CD reissues of previously released material although often a 'bonus' track or two plus sometimes questionable 'remastering'!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I’m rather looking forward to seeing CY’s past articles compiled in one or two limited editions, although I have many of the old “Angling” magazine articles piled in various corners and bookshelves around the cottage and barn it will be nice to have them instantly to hand just like the “Waterlog Years” are by Medlar press…..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Walkerburt wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:29 pm Just to add, I won’t be investing a minimum of £35 for what are basically second editions of these articles - nothing at all to do with the author, for whom I have the utmost admiration and respect, but surely it’s time to examine the motives of publishers who produce limited edition copies of old works, however good, even great..

I am a collector of antiquarian angling books, and I fully expect to receive pelters for my opinion, which is offered sincerely.
I couldn't agree more Walkerburt. I was excited about this until discovering it's all been published before. The space on my angling book shelves is too precious to waste on something I've read before.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

£35?…I was thinking of the vellum…..of course I jest!
There are many angling books both past and present, some considered classics which are essentially republished articles from magazines…surely these need to be preserved and presented in one easily accessible place for future generations of anglers to enjoy….? :Confused: :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Seems a fair enough endeavour to me. Not everyone will have read the long out-of-print originals and probably not many who did will have kept them.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

numbered version sold out quick...

Shimmer45
Minnow

Post by Shimmer45 »

my copy landed on the matt this morning
1st piece of reading material that i have brought featuring CY looking forward to thumbing the pages (fully aware that its works published elsewhere)
should be a good intro to his works

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Agree with you, GregF. The latest Yates words have never been published before in a book; many of Yates' younger admirers may never have realised he wrote in magazines to start with. One query though; do we think the articles been type-set afresh or merely scanned (to save costs perhaps)? Only asking...

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I have my copy, I have pretty much all of CY books, I think this book is great so far , it is like a dip into the other books, without reading them over, plus some other magazine articles, and publications I've not read before.

I don't participate in carp fishing, and don't read about it, but I can read a CY carp fishing story, as he captivates the event & you so well.

For me, a highly recommended book👍

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think it is a wonderful opportunity to feast on material I would never otherwise have the chance to read. I will certainly make space on my shelves for one more.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”