Bad News about salmon

This forum is for discussing salmon.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Bad News about salmon

Post by Olly »

I am patiently waiting for A SALMON to swim up the Hants Avon this year - none caught so far.

I went to the NE river Coquet over Easter - very very few salmon coming up there either.

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Stathamender wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 am Japanese knobweed.
That's is a very real concern!
Sorry.

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

It all boils down to money ,the fish farmers have a lot of clout , in the communities ,it does not help , when Atlantic salmon , are reared in Pacific ,
They have escaped into the wild and are competing with native Salmon in Canada , HOW ARE THEY ALLOWED TO DO THIS ,l have been told that Pacific
Salmon have turned up in our rivers !!!!!!! l can't believe this is true ,but who knows ,someone does
Salmon farming has a lot to answer for , l hope the take the ball by the horns and ban them , after all it was them offering grants etc to start up ,
the huge sea trout runs on the West Coast of Scotland almost disappeared over night when the farms started ,NO ONE LISTENED TO THE SCOTTISH SALMON ANGLER , THEY ARE NOW , I FEAR TO TO LATE
Read fishing from afar , give you an idea , of Scottish Sea Trout ,
IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY
HOLE WORLD NEEDS TO GET TOGETHER ON THIS ONE !!!
WILL THEY WILL THEY #### !
ANGRY AND HEARTBROKEN

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

Buying out the nets , will do nothing for Salmon stocks ,
the river Torridge in it's day 'had nets taking 5'000 salmon a year , still catching a 1'000 plus Salmon on rod and line !
IT'S POLLUTION , that's it nothing else ,of our rivers and seas, from Salmon Farms , Farms etc etc ,
all the Governments know it some even talk about it , but none , really do much about it , because it upsets people ,especially the ones making money out of it
Baltic sea used to be a great salmon/sea trout feeding area, is so bad that you are banned from eating some species , most of the sandells taken are not fit to eat ,herring is the same , so it goes into pet food ,fish food , boilies ,
Just been told there is something on Youtube about Norwegian farmed Salmon , being the most toxic food in the World,[ NOT SURE WHAT IT'S ABOUT]
IT'S TO LATE FOR THE KIDS BEING BORN NOW
GOD HOW DEPRESSING AM I BEING !
AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON SUBSIDIES FOR FARMERS

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Pacific salmon have turned up in UK rivers now for a number of years. Thought to have originated from Russian attempts to establish them as viable farm stock. The tinkering of man will be his undoing!
I disagree with you on the removal nets as I see it as all helping to slow the rot. Atlantic salmon need as much help as possible. I've stopped fishing for them in my local river as in my opinion stocks are so low they need leaving alone.

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

This is the trouble , no one can agree on what to do for the the best ,The Torridge had a great start to the season this year ,4 salmon on a day ticket beat
we have no nets on the Torridge , that's not because of the nets, but because the conditions were right to fish
the 2 seasons before that you could not fish ,we see a lot of salmon coming up the weir every September to January , the nets that were on the river , l used to go and watch them fish , in all that time they caught nothing ,you can sea them on youtube doing it ,they were very old people then , l would gladly never fish for Salmon again, [sea trout has always been my thing ]but it's not going to help , even if we banned salmon fishing for the hole country ,for say 5 years ,l doubt that would help ,l see Scotland has just had it's worst season ever [2018]since records started !!!!!
that does tend to prove ,there is something going on at sea, rather than what is happening in the rivers , no real crop spraying etc up there ,not a lot of people up there ,but a lot of salmon farms up there , they should try stopping farming up there for 5 years , but that is not going to happen is it
all comes down to money and the people at the top making it
i'd love to ban fishing for salmon but again lt will not happen , imagine trying to get that past ,again we can't leave europe ,how would we stop fishing
and it needs the hole world to do it not just us
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
TO QUOTE PRIVATE FRAZER.........WE ALL DOOMED !
must stop posting these as it's so depressing
T.C

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

This link was sent to me today.

What the deadly combination of drought and not enough oxygen in rivers can do.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... h-columbia

It's not just the future of the fish either. Bears, bald-headed eagles and others rely on these fish to keep them going during winter.

It's not looking too good for their survival at the moment...Runs of fish are not unlimited either in Canada or anywhere else...

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

The River Ribble is currently going through its worst season I have ever known, just 1 fish from my beat and that was caught on crust when chub fishing the whole of the Ribble and Hodder are suffering from the worst numbers anyone can remember.

Return to “Salmon (Salmo salar)”