How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ian
Eel

Re: How much would you pay for a Barbour?

Post by Ian »

10p
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Got to love a Barbour, who worries about the cost when you look this good in one…shades of Jeff Bridges in True Grit perhaps? :Wink: :whistle: :Hahaha:

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have brought two new ones.
The first a Northumbria at the going rate at the time, that was in 1985 ish then I got a lightweight "Border" I think it was.. it was shortish with zip's at the sides for the game pocket... That to was the going price at the time.
I then got a real bargain in my local Cat Protection charity shop on the 50p stand ! Honest. Green Beaufort I think it was, almost brand new!
My current on is a little to tight but I like it so much I am determined to get into it again this winter...
Its the long Horse riding one, a "Burghley" my sone gave that one to my five years ago..
Yes, I'm a fan and would pay out for a new one again.. going price.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm Got to love a Barbour, who worries about the cost when you look this good in one…shades of Jeff Bridges in True Grit perhaps? :Wink: :whistle: :Hahaha:

I didn't see him in True Grit, but I can see the resemblance! I bet he would like that ale! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm Got to love a Barbour, who worries about the cost when you look this good in one…shades of Jeff Bridges in True Grit perhaps? :Wink: :whistle: :Hahaha:

I like that the Landy gets an ale too :cheers:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

The Landy & the barbour are inseparable and the ale is totally suppable, but those rolls are just the best - in fact all four together are somewhat incomparable - 🍻
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 pm The Landy & the barbour are inseparable and the ale is totally suppable, but those rolls are just the best - in fact all four together are somewhat incomparable - 🍻
With new model Landy Defender rushing past £100,000- suddenly expensive Barbours are not as bad!

I learnt to drive in short wheelbase landy and will never forget jamming into a long wheelbase on weekend school trips to Bradwell

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I had a Barbour jacket years ago and eventually I got to dislike the waxy smell and feel of it, it seemed to be stiff as a board in the winter until after you wore it for a few minutes, I suppose the body heat made it softer. After a couple of years of freezing in the winter I got rid of it. Maybe Barbours have improved over the years but I will stick with my Sherwood Forest Jacket, it's one of the warmest jackets I have ever had and suits all my needs, I bought it at a game fair about 5 years ago and it still as good as new.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thats almost identical to the Musto 'Keeper'. Shame he didn't explain how cotton can be breathable and waterproof !

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I visited our local Barbour " outlet" shop yesterday. I felt very old as the " bright young things" tried on a range of fashion items- my wife event bought the most expensive Barbour dog collar ever.

The very limited sports and fishing items were crammed into a tiny far corner. But to be fair to Barbour they have changed to a new customer base to survive.

My two jackets are both over 30 years old abndca youngster of 10 and ready to do another 30 ( I hope with me) and clearly customers like me are not a regular source of income!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”