The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
David
Dace

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by David »

Well the brown rods originally made by B James & Son are certainly made from an unusual kind of glass. This has a completely different look and feel to other rods made of glass. It actually, (in my opinion) appears and even feels like early carbon rods.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

David wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:40 pm Perhaps we should put the brown rods away and forget about them.
To summarise, I think this thread has run it's course, but the very early B.James brown fibreglass rods are important and interesting. The problem is that they were made before Ken Potter joined the company, so he has told me that he cannot confirm any detail on them, as there are no records! What we know for certain is that the rods were distinctive with their 'ferrulless' construction and close whipping. There has been speculation that the early blanks were from Lerc?, but again nobody is around to confirm it. Having owned and used an early 13ft three piece B.James fibreglass 'Match' type rod some years ago, I speak from experience! There is no doubt that the later 'CTM' range were lighter and better, but the early brown glass B.James rods still have appeal! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

David
Dace

Post by David »

I agree with you and I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought it should end but others seem to have other ideas

Bumblebee Bend
Stickleback

Post by Bumblebee Bend »

These early glass rods by B James were produced in the late 1960's and were known as the "Consortium"range.As far as I'm aware there were three lengths 14 feet with a separate handle,13ft 3 piece and a 12ft model known as the "Consortium Trent" I have a 13 footer that I bought new in the late sixties and one of my mates owned the three piece Trent model.This range of rods was superceded by the CTM range by B James in association with Bruce & Walker.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks for the information. I have no more to add to this subject myself except, to thank again all those members who have contributed to it

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”