Ambidex mk 7 - Repair info.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Dave F
Grayling

Ambidex mk 7 - Repair info.

Post by Dave F »

One for Moley I think:-
The rare Ambidex mk 7 arrived from Ebay. It operates smoothly and looks okay but:-
1:- There is no spool "clicking".
2:- The anti-reverse is on perminently - the operating lever will go to the off position, but imediately returns to on.
3:- The bail arm will not stay open for casting.
I can put up with the first two faults but what I need to know, can the bail arm fault be fixed and if so what do I need to do it.

My intent, is to use every one of my Ambidex collection to actually catch at least one fish.

:fishing2: :fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Ambidex mk 7 - Repair info.

Post by Moley »

Without seeing the reel the answers can only be conjecture so here goes:

1. No spool clicking......by that I take it too mean when the spool revolves it makes no noise. Probably this is due to the thin metal Youngs used to make the noise on the spool has either rusted off or more likely snapped off. Take the spool off and have a look.

2. The anti reverse engages by itself. Usually this happens through wear and tear, it's just got loose with old age. You can tighten it but really if you can live with it then do so.....unless you are confident taking the reel apart.

3. The bail arm failing to engage.......the mechanism sounds like it might be jammed. Initially try putting a lot of easing oil on the parts that look like they should move. Leave for a few hours and hopefully that is all that's needed. If not then either the spring that moves the engaging arm to lock the bail open is broken or more likely not put back correctly. If you have other Ambidex models take the spools off and look how it is set up and compare to your Mark Seven. Replacement of parts is not easy if broken.....you can make them if you have the time and skill but most cannibalise other Ambidex reels.

As said without seeing the reel it is all conjecture but hope it gives a clue.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Thank you Moley - yet again….

I can live with the anti-reverse being on and the “none clicking” spool. The piece of metal is missing from the back of the spool as you predicted.
I’ll have ago at freeing off the bail arm workings with WD40 to see if it will cure the problem.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

The bail operating mechanism was completely gunged: the grease had set solid. Ungunged and lightly oiled and all working correctly. No luck with the anti-reverse mechanism though: it remains “on.” No problem though. At least the bail arm stays open for casting, then closes as it should.

:fishing2: :fishing1:
:fish:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”