Olivers rods marked special.

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Olivers rods marked special.

Post by PondLife »

Are Olivers rod marked Olivers rods "Special" made by Ted oliver. Only i've seen a few for sale lately been listed as Knebworth rods and priced accordingly.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Olivers rods marked special.

Post by Lea Dweller »

PondLife wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:43 pm Are Olivers rod marked Olivers rods "Special" made by Ted oliver. Only i've seen a few for sale lately been listed as Knebworth rods and priced accordingly.
I have owned one rod which had 'Special' printed in black in a small rectangular red box, above or below the usual Oliver's of Knebworth and 'guaranteed hand built' transfers. I have seen several others, but they are by no means common and usually command a high price if in good condition. There is or was an Oliver's rods, which Ted Oliver agreed to (long story), but they could not trade as Oliver's of Knebworth! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

I've seen quite few Olivers Special rods of late. Mostly on Facebook and eBay and i was under the misapprehension that they were made after the Olivers Of knebworth rods. In fact i mistakenly put them down to Peter Johnson who as you probably know trades as Olivers rods. But after being corrected today i think but i'm not certain that they were built by Ted Oliver before the Knebworth rods. Annoying thing is i could have bought one but didn't because i thought they were inferior quality to the Knebworth rods. :hairpull:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

PondLife wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm I've seen quite few Olivers Special rods of late. Mostly on Facebook and eBay and i was under the misapprehension that they were made after the Olivers Of knebworth rods. In fact i mistakenly put them down to Peter Johnson who as you probably know trades as Olivers rods. But after being corrected today i think but i'm not certain that they were built by Ted Oliver before the Knebworth rods. Annoying thing is i could have bought one but didn't because i thought they were inferior quality to the Knebworth rods. :hairpull:
I wouldn't be too frustrated, you may have had a lucky escape! I have seen a few 'Oliver's of Knebworth' rods that didn't look right to me. Usually if a genuine of Oliver's of Knebworth rod is advertised, 'Special' or not, it will sell for a very good price. Having said that you sometimes come across a genuine one at a reasonable price, that is why I keep looking! :Hahaha: :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

You're right i probably did have a lucky escape. I have heard of many a tale of suspect olivers over the years. looks like i will have to bide my time and wait for one from a trusted source to appear. :Hat:

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

it was I that had the conversation with PondLife , and the "special" inside an inverted red and black horseshoe is a genuine Knebworth transfer .
when doubt was expressed i spoke to Pete Johnson , who i know quite well , and he confirmed the transfer(s) were kosher. they are early rods that do not have the "Knebworth" transfer.
having not seen any Oliver MKIVs for sale in ages , two appeared on an auction site from different sellers . one is in sore need of a resto and came for little money . the second is in much better condition needing just minor attention and unsurprisingly cost a few bob more (quite a few). .... so my mate and i have one each .
we seem to have hit a lucky streak recently , having also found two Ealing MKIVs. one is good , the other is superb still in it's original varnish, mine is the good one . both made at roughly the same time but quite obviously built by different hands.

there is still gold dust to be found - i am working on a glorious early'50s Wizard ,bought for the princely sum of ....£25

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

PondLife wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 pm I've seen quite few Olivers Special rods of late. Mostly on Facebook and eBay and i was under the misapprehension that they were made after the Olivers Of knebworth rods. In fact i mistakenly put them down to Peter Johnson who as you probably know trades as Olivers rods. But after being corrected today i think but i'm not certain that they were built by Ted Oliver before the Knebworth rods. Annoying thing is i could have bought one but didn't because i thought they were inferior quality to the Knebworth rods. :hairpull:
sometimes you gotta back a hunch . I did and we have 2 Ollies

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”