Twenty inch Grayling on a sunny day.

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Crucian
Eel

Re: Twenty inch Grayling on a sunny day.

Post by Crucian »

Well done Moley, truly the stuff dreams are made of.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Olly wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:39 pm Well a monster according to the weight for length scale for grayling! It is however inaccurate to with in 8oz! So not as accurate as a set of scales!
The Allcocks scale of 1966:-
At 18in = 2lb 5oz - - - +/- 8oz.
At 20-21inches = 3lb 3oz to 3lb 9oz - - - +/- 8oz.
Here's some 20" grayling caught by the late John Searl; big aren't they? These are 3lb+
New grayling 013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

DaceAce wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:46 am
Olly wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:39 pm Well a monster according to the weight for length scale for grayling! It is however inaccurate to with in 8oz! So not as accurate as a set of scales!
The Allcocks scale of 1966:-
At 18in = 2lb 5oz - - - +/- 8oz.
At 20-21inches = 3lb 3oz to 3lb 9oz - - - +/- 8oz.
Here's some 20" grayling caught by the late John Searl; big aren't they? These are 3lb+
New grayling 013.jpg
They are big. Late season fish judging by the dark colouration. Personally I don't fish for them after January because of this.

The fish caught by myself were witnessed and measured only, as portrait posing takes too long as far as I am concerned causing the delicate grayling to gas up and turn turtle, very often not recovering at all......even if they seem to swim off well.

Even experienced fishers get caught out by grayling seeming to recover and swim off well, only to float upside down, carried by the strong current to their doom.....seen it too often to risk it. This is no slur on the late great John Searl who no doubt ensured the fish were fully recovered before release, as he was a very experienced Angler.

The grayling here are long and thin and would estimate they weigh not much more than 2lbs....which the owner of the stretch agreed.They just don't seem to pack on the weight in this stretch untill too late in the season for me, just prior to oggins time.

As stated previously I do not deliberately fish for them after January for my own personal reasons.

I 'm not totally sure what the underlying message of your post is Mark but yes three pound plus Grayling are big; certainly bigger by far than the fish I caught.

I trust this clarifies any dark thoughts that I am claiming the fish to be bigger than they clearly are. No claims were made in the original text as to any weights.

Two pounds tops possibly.,.....'here I stand!'

As ever ,.........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Leave them in a landing net until 'fully' recovered - - upright and trying to escape seems about the right time!

I have however also seen them turn-up after this 'recovery' - - followed them downstream - - and found them right themselves naturally eventually.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Olly wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pm Leave them in a landing net until 'fully' recovered - - upright and trying to escape seems about the right time!

I have however also seen them turn-up after this 'recovery' - - followed them downstream - - and found them right themselves naturally eventually.
Agreed Olly and sometimes they do turn back the right way but sometimes they don't.

Being Fat and useless will always err on the side of caution and just measure the fish and put 'em back as quickly as possible. It's just me as to lose a fine fish for strutting and posing is just not on.

Grayling are my favourite fish apart from roach and gonks so if one died due to my stupidity I would feel guilty and not sleep nights.

I know a fish is a fish but grayling are special; really they are!

Anyways many thanks to all who have contributed and commented...all good then.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Well done Moley great brace, also nice roach, I am hoping to get to grips with these lovely fish over the next two weeks if forecast is correct of no rain.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

A fine day out Moley,compliments on your concern for the welfare of the Lady of the stream.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

The fish below weighed exactly 3lb it measured 18.625in. It was caught from Driffield Beck which produces quite a few of 3lb+ fish. They tend to be deep bodied, they have also been shown to be genetically related to the fish in the River Frome which also produces big grayling.

The second fish was not measured but weighed 3lb 4oz. I also caught another graying of 2lb 1oz on the same day plus two 3lb 12oz chub and two out of season trout of 3lb and 2lb. A great days fishing.

The third shot shows Kevin Clifford returning the fish. Kevin took the shot and weighed it for me.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent grayling Phil A! All of the above shows how inaccurate the simple length to weight conversion scales are with out a girth/condition measurement being factored in. Even then they are just an approximate guide. If you want to know the weight of a fish you really do need accurate scales tared to a suitable bag/sling. Not that it matters unless you want/need it to :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Most of my grayling are 'Frome' fish.

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”