Down the chip shop with Dennis Pye.

This forum is for discussing pike.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Down the chip shop with Dennis Pye.

Post by Mr B »

Having a bit of time on my hands after testing positive for Covid again yesterday (" Seconds out, round two") I have been enjoying a bit of reading and research.
Not feeling to bad at all.
I came across this interesting interview while looking up Dennis Pye.

Mr B.

Derrick Amies never dreamed he's be taken under the wing of Broadland legend Dennis Pye when his Granny sent him down the chip shop...

http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/articles/amies.htm
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Down the chip shop with Dennis Pye.

Post by Harry H »

Thanks for posting :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Lovely article, thanks for posting that.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Ouse Wanderer
Bleak

Post by Ouse Wanderer »

What an interesting read. Thanks for posting Mr. B. What an archive the T.F.F. collective possesses! I hope the Covid doesn't linger.

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Lovely read,really interesting,thanks

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, well I chanced upon that and really enjoyed it myself.
Very nice to know you have all enjoyed it to.
Now the problem is....I want "The Pike Rod!"
Despite reading that it is far to heavy and like a broom stick... I want one! Totally irrational of me I know, but I'm a sucker for tradition!
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

They are not to heavy in my opinion, I love them ,My local lake was supposed to be frozen solid, I went over there yesterday to feed the seagulls/heron and anything else ,I had some floating dog biscuits/sardines/bread/pigeon conditioner and anything else I could nick out of the fridge,when I got there I found this corner ice free,fed the wildlife and told myself I would go over there today, it would just be for fun so I took my 2 old Dennis Pye rods with Grice and young orlando 111 centrepins, It would have been great to catch a pike in the snow and what a picture that would make..............................and the wildlife would get fed again......well the wildlife got fed and I was the only one there so win win, happy days.going back tomorrow so might still get that pike in the snow picture yet,Image Image

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mr B wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm Yes, well I chanced upon that and really enjoyed it myself.
Very nice to know you have all enjoyed it to.
Now the problem is....I want "The Pike Rod!"
Despite reading that it is far to heavy and like a broom stick... I want one! Totally irrational of me I know, but I'm a sucker for tradition!
Mr B
I love my Chapman Dennis Pye P700, it is my go to pike rod, it can sling a mackerel, wobble a smelt, and land a pike, they are not too heavy.

Dealers ask too much money, look around and you can pick them up for less than £150

A Wye 12lb'er gave a good account, on a float legered sardine.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Nice fish Paul - Ive heard that one or two twenties are showing on the Belmont. Woody would know…..
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thats great Tizer and Paul F,
Lovely photos and a lovely Pike, and. both fans of the 700!
I best get saving!
Great stuff, thank you.

Mr B

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”