Tamesis A S

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
EricW
Perch

Re: Tamesis A S

Post by EricW »

Hard to say at the moment but should I ever strip the butt it does appear to have newspaper stuffed in the base. Probably not really an early one as all sections have brazed ferrules. Now that you've mentioned the refugee angle I recall that 'hempseed corner' was habitually fished by Belgian refugees it might be that Gent is anglicised version of Ghent. Or more probably that is wishful thinking.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Interestingly, I've just searched that surname on Ancestry and it states, "English: habitational name from Ghent in Flanders. So just maybe I have an original 'hempseed corner' pole. Perhaps not this one but I did buy an older Sowerbutts from the same source, owned by the same gentleman.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've heard of Brian Gent who I think is the angler mentioned. Tamesis were a LAA affiliated club that merged with another LAA club called 'Swan' about 50 years ago. Keith Arthur might know more.

Just asked about him on FB; I believe Brian Gent is still around.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I have this little book dating from 1963 which lists a considerable amount of fishing clubs but can't find any mention of Tamesis A.S unless it had been wound up by then.
Image :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

DaceAce wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:53 pm I've heard of Brian Gent who I think is the angler mentioned. Tamesis were a LAA affiliated club that merged with another LAA club called 'Swan' about 50 years ago. Keith Arthur might know more.

I'm very glad to hear that. I hope he would be happy to know that the poles that gave him so much enjoyment are safe and will almost certainly get their day in the sun again. The history of all my cane poles is very important to me and I find the nuances of their construction, the lives they may have lived and the craftsmanship of those that made them endlessly fascinating. When I use them, I feel a connection with the past that somehow my cane rods never quite manage and I always wish that those who did make and/or use them could know how much they are appreciated and enjoyed. Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread, I now have some new and interesting leads. :Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

EricW wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:23 am
DaceAce wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:53 pm I've heard of Brian Gent who I think is the angler mentioned. Tamesis were a LAA affiliated club that merged with another LAA club called 'Swan' about 50 years ago. Keith Arthur might know more.

I'm very glad to hear that. I hope he would be happy to know that the poles that gave him so much enjoyment are safe and will almost certainly get their day in the sun again. The history of all my cane poles is very important to me and I find the nuances of their construction, the lives they may have lived and the craftsmanship of those that made them endlessly fascinating. When I use them, I feel a connection with the past that somehow my cane rods never quite manage and I always wish that those who did make and/or use them could know how much they are appreciated and enjoyed. Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread, I now have some new and interesting leads. :Hat:
You have a PM.

Tamesis were, as far as I can tell, a very small club that match-fished, not the sort of club you'd join for their waters.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”