Unidentified Chapmans rod

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Unidentified Chapmans rod

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:22 am
Duckett wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:21 pm
Olly wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:18 pm What it slightly surprising is the middle joint has a glass/glass splice - not many early metalled ferruled glass rods had that - if I remember correctly?
I have an early fibreglass Edgar Sealey ESS Match rod (12 feet) with metal ferrules and two glass:glass splices - one in the tip section and another in the middle section. I love early Edgar Sealey glass but it was the splices that caught my eye!

Phil
You are right Phil, some months ago I posted pictures of a rod like this, (with two splices) It subsequently sold to a Sealey enthusiast! :Hat:
There are 2 of us? I call it a sort of madness but I’ll happily settle for enthusiast Ted! :Chuckle:

I suppose that if I’m going to have a specific enthusiasm in this lark, they don’t come much cheaper than early Edgar Sealey glass! The ‘pins and fixed spools to match them are a different matter!

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Enthusiast is spot on Phil! Some of the early Edgar Sealey are really different and and worthy of enthusiasm! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Looks like a Hunter 1000, but longer

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Ljm183 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:46 am
Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:02 pm Olly is right several companies did fibreglass/cane combinations, but apart from the 'Angalloy' combination rod, I was not aware of any others from Chapman's of Ware? :Hat:
Ted the Angalloy wasn't a fibreglass/cane combination rod, it was an Alloy butt / mid sections with either a fibreglass or Split cane tip. :Thumb:
I had one of those as a lad, but I had it in my head for some reason that it was a Milbro rod... the Alloy was a gold colour and the middle and tip sections were yellow fibreglass...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Aitch wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:35 pm
Ljm183 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:46 am
Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:02 pm Olly is right several companies did fibreglass/cane combinations, but apart from the 'Angalloy' combination rod, I was not aware of any others from Chapman's of Ware? :Hat:
Ted the Angalloy wasn't a fibreglass/cane combination rod, it was an Alloy butt / mid sections with either a fibreglass or Split cane tip. :Thumb:
I had one of those as a lad, but I had it in my head for some reason that it was a Milbro rod... the Alloy was a gold colour and the middle and tip sections were yellow fibreglass...
Aitch... with the Chapman all the sections are Alloy apart from the tip which is in 2 pieces lower alloy and either a split cane or fibreglass final section. theres 4 sections in total. So yours might have been a Milbro or some other make.

Images

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”