DIAWA I'm not sure how this happened

The Other Reels forum.
Argyll Trout Fisher
Ruffe

Re: DIAWA I'm not sure how this happened

Post by Argyll Trout Fisher »

Over the last few months I too have become infected by the Daiwa collection bug. I already had a mild case but now it has came back more than ever! It started with a really beaten up and neglected 7700, bought for pennies and transformed into a ‘user’. It sports a bail wire from a Mitchell 386 and a dodgy paint job but is now a formidable, bombproof reel. Encouraged by this outcome I started looking for the cheapest Daiwa’s I could find in any conditions , with the challenge of getting them useable. A 7350RL followed , that was in great nic and only required a clean up and service. I liked this reel a fair bit and felt it a step up from the basic models. The next target was a 7300RB , that was also in decent condition and only required minor tinkering. The bail ratchet spring on the bottom of the spool fell off and it is now the 7300RB ‘silent drag’ model but otherwise fully functional. From here a 7290AR in rather shabby condition was next. A boy’s reel , now running well , with battle scars . The handle had been riveted through the main gear shaft in a rather severe previous repair and this remains. (I couldn’t remove it if I tried!) Another 7290 (B) followed and required some rust removal from the bail wire , a service and clean and is another user. A pristine 755H (Japanese label)was next - a delux version of the 7350 - resplendent in bluey silver with red ratchet switch and handle. Runs like a dream. When another 755H came up for spares and repairs I thought it worth a punt for a few quid. After rubbing down the corrosion on the chrome handle and bail, a quick service and clean and bail reset , it is now purring. With confidence improving in knowing my way around these RL models I couldn’t resist another 7350RL in very good condition but with drag issues for a couple of quid! Beyond the top hat and spool everything was pristine after a quick overhaul. The missing drag washers have now been replaced and the drag is functional once more. The spinning top is not original or from this reel but functions and looks ok. What next? I need to start tying flies and knock this outbreak of Daiwaitis on the head. The 755H will become one of my favourite medium sized reels I predict. The smaller models will get put back into auction at a low price having amused me for a while , and will hopefully find a new owner(s) who will use them again. Well I’m relieved to have gotten all that off my chest! ☺️
Duncan F. Mac

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I applaud your courage in taking this first step brave sir
It's never an easy task telling friend's , family and colleagues that you have contracted Daiwaitis.

The main reason is the fear and panic it causes due to the lack of knowledge about this terrible disease.
Unfortunately for you you will now be treated like a leper from most of the uneducated folk as they will now fear you are highly contagious and avoid you like carbon user.

I just wanted to come forward and let you know since my original post several sufferers/addicts/users have now made themselves known and if we all stand united together as one we can change the world's veiws about us!

Unfortunately there is a downside as there is no known cure and you can be fooled into thinking that you have rid yourself and overcome Daiwaitis but in truth just like herpes it can flare up at any point and is with you for life.

Please do not hesitate to reach out for advice and support you are not alone!
And brown reels matter :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

BRM! BRM! BRM! :laugh1:

Argyll Trout Fisher
Ruffe

Post by Argyll Trout Fisher »

Forgot to mention a blue 730……I think my return to picking up Daiwa reels was not helped by the purchase of a mint 8 foot hollow glass Daiwa spinning rod in brown with gold/ orange whipping. It was so crying out for a reel from that same era. I associate Daiwa with cool items from the 70’s, like Adidas trainers and t shirts. Japanese made reels from this era are in my opinion up there with Swedish , French and German quality The 7000 series reels in brown (or perhaps deep chestnut is more appropriate ?) were affordable, reliable and decent. Some of the fancier, higher spec models are incredibly good reels. For me these are iconic symbols of fishing in the 70’s as kids, in between watching World Cups where Scotland actually participated!!, doing paper runs on Choppers and enviously flicking through Tight lines tackle catalogues dreaming of upgrading to Abu!
Duncan F. Mac

Return to “Other Reels”