Hereford catch

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Hereford catch

Post by Homer Simpson »

I see there was an exceptional weight caught during a match at the weekend.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Hereford catch

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Oh go on then, i will do it..... how much was the exceptional weight then....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

250 lb chub and roach.
Town centre swim. Shows the potential of the river doesn't it?

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

The said peg is a great end peg with no other angler downstream, but you could put 100 match anglers on that peg, and 90% would get nowhere near that weight, the angler on that peg Sunday is probably one of the top 10 river match anglers in the country.

The other consideration is bait sponsorship, he used 4 gallons of maggots (32 pints), I can't afford to go fishing with that amount of bait!

Great anglers on a great river, but will it last for ever, that is the question?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

“Everything has an ending”
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

251lb in fact which is a serious feat to accumulate over the duration of a match. As is the feeding of 32pints of maggots! It's a very many thousand of the wee wrigglers. 50k plus? Such fishing will be cyclical. The chicken poop effect? High eutrophication will suit the coarse species more than the salmonids and shad that's for sure. Let's hope its not the boom before the bust. I hear you'd be doing very well to catch 251lb of salmon in a lifetime on the Wye these days.....be careful what you wish for :Hat:

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Presumably there is someone fishing that peg pretty much every day if it’s well known, so it must be a fish holding swim just for that reason.

32 pints! I would have thought that would feed everything off. I feel extravagant if I use a pint in a session.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Feeding that much bait on the Wye will draw fish from way downstream and there will be plenty of chub, each of which will get through a hefty amount of maggots. Add to this the roach, dace (if they are still around), bleak, minnows, perch etc. In the flow of the river, maggots do not sit around waiting to be found and eaten, most head off with the current. If you dived that swim the day after, I doubt you'd find much bait just fish waiting for the next free helping.

Mind you, I suspect the fellow was feeder fishing and the amount of casting to get through more maggots than I use in a season, along with the playing and landing of all those fish, no Sir - not for me. I will never understand match fishing.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

That is a popular peg, although it is not pleasure fished much as it is not as comfortable as the wooden platforms, it is close to a couple of bridges, and I would guess the water is a degree or 2 warmer than the open pegs, it has produced a match winning weight on at least 6 matches this season.

The angler was fishing a 6m pole to hand, and the bag pretty much was chub from a few ounces to a couple of pounds, many dace, odd roach

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

He hand fed four gallons or maggots? He must have hands like shovels.

Return to “River Wye”