Glued-in grubscrew

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Glued-in grubscrew

Post by Duckett »

Timothy Claypole wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:33 pm Don’t think Garry Mills glues his in, at least not the reels I’ve had him service.
Gary Mills doesn’t fix his grub screws in. On the other hand, Chris Lythe does.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Ah, well now you’ve gone and complicated things 😃
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

So has anybody ever had a grub screw fall out during use?
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Timothy Claypole wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm So has anybody ever had a grub screw fall out during use?
No but I recently had the centre boss on my Trudex disintegrate mid session!
The replacement that I got from Gary didn't seem to have been tapped deep enough though as the grub screw supplied would only wind in half way before binding up and it was still way off being close enough to set the end float.
Easily sorted though.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Silfield wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:31 pm
Timothy Claypole wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm So has anybody ever had a grub screw fall out during use?
The replacement that I got from Gary didn't seem to have been tapped deep enough though as the grub screw supplied would only wind in half way before binding up and it was still way off being close enough to set the end float.
Easily sorted though.
Yikes. Must have been fairly brittle to disintegrate 😧

Bernard Venables

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Timothy Claypole wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:50 pm
Silfield wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:31 pm
Easily sorted though.
Yikes. Must have been fairly brittle to disintegrate 😧
A fairy common occurrence I think but, given its age it has done well for a thin bit of plastic. Anything more than a light nip-up with the 2 fixing screws will cause them to crack as well.
I think Gary's are made from Delrin so should be good for the next 60 years at least!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”