Wasing estates Dalston beat

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
Gudgeon Jim

Wasing estates Dalston beat

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

as anyone ever fished this section? i was told by M. James MBE that if i wanted Roach then its the place. I Had a look yesterday but could not get in anywhere as it has become a tad overgrown.
Im prepared to cut my way through if its a worthy stretch.

Martin James
Eel

Re: Wasing estates Dalston beat

Post by Martin James »

Dear Jim its the bottom end of the Dalston beat you want just above where the power lines go across the river. If you sit a few yards upstream of the big tree and trott the far bank under suitable conditions you should find some good roach. Both Lyndon Barrett and myself have had good sessions. I start off by putting in half a dozen lots of hemp and gentles at the head of the swim with a bait dropper then leave alone for an hour, just feeding five or six gentles every few minutes. I use a 15 foot rod, centre pin reel 3lb line with a float to take 5 egg shaped AA shot with a size 14 hook usually with three gentles. If the fish switch off, I then go over to stret pegging using flake as bait on a size 10 or 12 hook. I hope this is of help Regards Martin

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Thanks Martin
Im still waiting to see you again down there as i still owe you a fiver for your book , which by the way is a great read :thumb:
Jim

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Dear Jim I will be down on15th November for a few days, currently in the UAE. If you visite Tadley Angling you can drop off the fiver there or wait until I see you again Kind regards Martin

Return to “River Kennet”