Slater/Jardine Handleless Reel

The Nottingham Reels forum.
AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Slater/Jardine Handleless Reel

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Anybody ever seen or owned this reel?It has a perforated drum(5 large holes),all brass lined(I think) a Slater latch.
it has fascinated me for many ,many years.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Slater/Jardine Handleless Reel

Post by Deaf Cat »

Does it actually exist or was it just described in a patent application?

Whiteadder’s virtual fly fishing museum:
“ The original Jardine patent referred to a trotting reel produced with a perforated spool and no handle, but for some reason the name came to be associated with these perforated, ebonite backed fly reels.”
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

The reel was advertised on the front page of the 1898 Fishing Gazette,'The Jeffrey-Jardine Patent Handleless Reel' showing it in 3 pieces.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

The reel certainly exists I have been looking for it for more years than I care to remember.

I have a couple of images but never seen the reel. Some features of the reel I have seen on other reels.

I have not been able to find any trace of a patent application.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

It’s an interesting and attractive reel, but I’d hate to have my finger in one of the winding holes just as a barbel or decent carp made a powerful run!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting reel and certainly oe Ive never seen before! Looking at those pictures, by the time you've got some line on there won't be much room to get your finger inside those holes, just a slight depression, and the finger tip will touch the side of the line coils. Maybe a 'batting reel' but I'd much rather two good handles myself. Perhaps it never took off precisely because it was a floored design....

Return to “Nottingham Reels”