Wax on wax off

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Wax on wax off

Post by Bobthefloat »

The hat , brashers and barbour are all getting a treat today!

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Re: Wax on wax off

Post by Barbelbonce »

Surely not expecting rain?!
Mike

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thank goodness I no longer have to do that!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

More power to your elbow!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Good stuff Tel… when you’ve done yours mate I’ve got six barbours and four pairs of brashers you can do for me… :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

:surrender: :Chuckle:
RBTraditional wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:48 am Good stuff Tel… when you’ve done yours mate I’ve got six barbours and four pairs of brashers you can do for me… :Chuckle:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

ImageImage

All extremely therapeutic much like cleaning out your tackle bags and boxes at the end of the season I enjoy all this just as much as fishing.

I must say using my wife's hair dryer and a cloth to go over the freshly waxed barbour really gave a nice even finish.
This coat gets abused and even gets used as a blanket on some occasions so extra attention needed on the more worn area's.
The hair dryer really gets the wax right into the seams whilst allowing the excess to be removed with the dry cloth.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I went into my local Barbour shop last week. They were pushing their " wax at the factory" offer.

I don't think they really understood my response that diy proofing is part of the " fun". And whilst sewing up the barbed wire rips myself is nowhere near as factory repair- again maintaining the relationship with the heavy antique thing is vital

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I must confess to have stopped waxing my 40 + year Solway Zipper using it only in dry weather but I do get the same pleasure by waxing / cleaning leather shoes and boots, take the laces out first and get to work, very satisfying a mixture of brushes & cloths, most of my shoes are 20+ years and by Cheaney from their Desborough factory shop. Now retired some of the shoes ( black Oxford and half Brogues ) don’t get much use apart from funerals ! I’ve got no need to buy any more shoes until ( forgive the pun ) till I pop my clogs !

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

If you like wearing thornproofs and want to look after them then regular cleaning and reproofing is necessary for them to last and keep the weather out. I still wear my Solway Zipper (36 years old) and Durham regularly and keep them in good order, also still used is my Barbour Sportsman thornproof game bag bought new in 1981 which someone offered me £100 for whilst carrying it in a supermarket!!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”