DAM Continent 550

The DAM Reels forum.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

DAM Continent 550

Post by Duebel »

I went through all my angling bits and pieces recently and stumbled across this little beauty.

The DAM Continent 550 is a small (55 milimeters in diameter) and very simply constructed multiplier reel. The gear ratio is about 3:1. It was built by DAM from pre WW2 until 1957. My reel is probably from the fifties, as it came with a job lot of rods and reels from said period.
As you can see, the optics could be better. Mechanically it's in a very good state though.

I need a small reel for tiddler snatching in Dumfries and Galloway this summer. Modern guys would call it LRF. I'm hoping to catch blennies, sculpins and the likes.

Before I can use the reel, it needs some tlc. I've completely dismantled it, which was very easy. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The reel has two issues that really need my attention. The first is the thing (please let me know how it's called) that holds the reel cage together and where the line runs over. You can see, the reel must have seen very heavy use. Miles and miles of line being dragged over the metal has worn it out quite a bit.
I had to grind off a lot of material to get rid of the very deep groves.

ImageImageImage

Stay tuned! The next steps will be shown soon.
Last edited by Duebel on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Re: DAM Continent 550

Post by Liphook »

Thing = crossbar Martin. Is it possible it's been used back to front by a left hand winding angler when it was built for right hand winding? Difficult to tell exactly from thd pictures but does the non grooved crossbar sit lower perhaps? Most baitcasters of that era, pre spool release, were RHW :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

It is definitely right hand wind and meant to sit on the top of the rod. Maybe the user had to little line on the reel?
He must have loved the reel lot. It was mounted to a very nice early hollow glass Sportex rod. By far the best rod of the job lot.
All things, no all crossbars (cheers, Alistair) are symmetrically placed. Well, we'll never know, how the previous owner managed to cause these deep groves.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Perhaps you can find a suitable piece of hard chromed tubing to sleeve over the crossbar Martin? I'm sure you'll make a grand job of renovating it :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Liphook wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:00 pm Perhaps you can find a suitable piece of hard chromed tubing to sleeve over the crossbar Martin? I'm sure you'll make a grand job of renovating it :Hat:
I hadn't thought of that. But I don't think it's really necessary. The reel won't be abused. It is meant to be my reel for very small fish.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

The spool was in a very poor state. I put it in my drill press to polish it. It turned out quite nice.

ImageImageImage

I've put some line on the reel now. I really wonder how someone managed to get all these groves in the crossbar. There's no way the line can even touch the crossbar, as long as the reel is used correctly.

Well, to be honest, after testing the reel with line, I came to the conclusion, that is isn't quite fit for use. There has been some wear and tear on the mechanics, that wouldn't show at first. I'll give the reel a proper test on the river nevertheless. Maybe it isn't all bad. But I've got several other smallish reels that I will consider using for rock pool fishing this summer.

Thanks for watching, gentlemen!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “DAM Reels”