506 Lube

The ABU Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

506 Lube

Post by Martin(rockape) »

I've just got myself a lovely 506, given it a good clean removing the old grease and oil.
The reel handle had a white ish look about it but some toothpaste and brush has improved it a fair bit.

My question is should I just re-lube with a light oil or do you gents recommend using a small amount of grease?

If grease is recommended then I've got some synthetic bike grease I could use.

Kind regards

Martin

Duckett
Tench

Re: 506 Lube

Post by Duckett »

I use that blue Diawa light grease on my two 506s. They’ve been in regular use by myself and other family members since bought new in the early 1970s and all they’ve each needed to date is a new bush! Once a year, they get a thorough inside clean and new lube …… though, they never seem to get dirty!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Thanks Phil

Regards

Martin

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I used ACF50 corrosion block grease on mine (1lb tub) which is blue in colour like the Penn stuff, but about 4 times cheaper. It is used a lot in the aviation industry

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 pm I used ACF50 corrosion block grease on mine (1lb tub) which is blue in colour like the Penn stuff, but about 4 times cheaper. It is used a lot in the aviation industry
Seeing your username are you Ex RAF Regt by any chance.

Regards

Martin

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Martin,

Aha! I often get asked that question, but sadly... no. I have no links with the RAF. I have family who have served with the RAF though.

It is a term used by some Weymouth residents to describe Portlanders (or sometimes Fraggles). Having lived and worked on Portland for many years, mostly with the RN actually, I get described a a rockape often, so I decided to use it as my forum name.

All the best,

Paul

Return to “ABU Reels”