HELP:- CAN YOU ID THIS ROD?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Dave F
Grayling

HELP:- CAN YOU ID THIS ROD?

Post by Dave F »

I've acquired this 10' 6" three piece fly rod and would like to find out who and when it was made if possible.

The ferrules are similar to those on my Hardy "The Victor" i.e. fit in, twist and lock.
On the butt cap:- "Steel Centre" I presume, talking about the centre of the rod? There are no other marks to suggest a maker or date.

:fishing1:
:fish:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: HELP:- CAN YOU ID THIS ROD?

Post by Dave F »

Anyone any ideas?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

It looks to have some Hardy features but could also be one of the more obscure Scottish makers?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just to complicate identification, especially regarding locking ferrules - I found I have an Edgar Sealey salmon spinning rod - with locking ferrules!

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Olly wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:34 pm Just to complicate identification, especially regarding locking ferrules - I found I have an Edgar Sealey salmon spinning rod - with locking ferrules!
Just to complicate the complicated I have a Scottie 3 piece fly rod with locking ferrules and not phenolic resin just normal varnish :surrender:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:21 pm
Olly wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:34 pm Just to complicate identification, especially regarding locking ferrules - I found I have an Edgar Sealey salmon spinning rod - with locking ferrules!
Just to complicate the complicated I have a Scottie 3 piece fly rod with locking ferrules and not phenolic resin just normal varnish :surrender:
Thank you one and all for the comments. Looks to have been an expensive rod when first purchased…

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Nice looking rod may I say the rod has a sheet cork handle which dates it to the 1920's 1930's, 1940's, 1950's ? or a little earlier I have forgotten when sheet cork handles were used. The ferrules look like they are upper market and made from nickel silver and not brass, your rod looks to have snake rings and not 1910 1920 bridge rings so unless it has been re ringed in its life is probably not before 1910 1920 as I think they used the flat eyes that looked like metal stampings with holes drilled in them and set at an angle accross the rods blank look at this 1920 rod ring.
old bridge guides1.jpg
If it does have these rings then I would say it is 1920's onwards but not after 1930's.

Like my Ogden Smith sovereign salmon fly rod, steel centre means the rod has a steel rod inserted in each section, anyone have an idea when steel centres were introduced or when they were no longer used in rod building ? I might guess like my steel centre rod, nice and springy in the tip and will bend but not break too easily it may also be a little heavy in the hand. As to what it is or who made it I could not say as I also have a fly rod or two that are unbranded. I hope I have helped a bit with dating your rod.

Trevor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lovatt on Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Lovatt wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:20 pm Nice looking rod may I say the rod has a sheet cork handle which dates it to the 1920's 1930's, 1940's, 1950's ? or a little earlier I have forgotten when sheet cork handles were used. The ferrules look like they are upper market and made from nickel silver and not brass, your rod looks to have snake rings and not 1910 1920 bridge rings so unless it has been re ringed in its life is probably not before 1910 1920 as I think they used the flat eyes that looked like metal stampings with holes drilled in them and set at an angle accross the rods blank look at this 1920 rod ring. old bridge guides1.jpg If id does have these rings then I would say it is 1920's onwards.

Like my Ogden Smith sovereign salmon fly rod, steel centre means the rod has a steel rod inserted in each section, anyone have an idea when steel centres were introduced or when they were no longer used in rod building ? I might guess like my steel centre rod, nice and springy in the tip and will bend but not break too easily it may also be a little heavy in the hand. As to what it is or who made it I could not say as I also have a fly rod or two that are unbranded. I hope I have helped a bit with dating your rod.

Trevor
Thank you for the info. I don’t think the rod has been altered in any way or refurbished. The rings just look like a piece of “wire” forming a loop and whipped onto the rod.

:fishing1:
:fish:

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Nice looking rod!

Trevor

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Steel centred rods are mentioned in Hardy's 1899 catalogue -- therefore started earlier!

The rings appear to be similar to Hardy's "Bridge Ring" introduced in 1893. And comments are that they are better than "snake rings"

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”