Rapidex with "issues"

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Rapidex with "issues"

Post by Nobby »

You need to make sure the rod that the wheel pushes inwards, it's called a compensating drag Garry Mills tells me, is returning back when the wheel is reversed. Sometimes they are stubborn and stay rubbing when you have backed the wheel off. The idea is that you set them to just rub so that line isn't pulled off the reel too fast by moving water when trotting.

The next thing to check is the end float by carefully turning the little screw in the middle of the centre-boss anti-clockwise. Then bring the screw back in again until it just touches the top of the central shaft or 'pin' and then back it out again one eight of a turn. Set up like this it will just click as you pull the spool away from the reel back and it will be able to spin the best.

Clean everything as best you can, Perhaps polishing some parts with Brasso and a strip of cloth.

You want a good oil to finish the job, Garry Mills' " Pin Oil" is the best despite my efforts to better it.

Then sit in front of the TV one evening spinning and stopping it as much as you can bear. One last clean and oil change and that should do the job.

One last thing, the black plastic centre-boss is fragile plastic and sixty years old, don't over tighten the two mounting screws. It's best to mark it so you put it back the same way, assuming someone hasn't already put it back wrongly........

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you Nobby, this is excellent advice. Project on hold during good weather!

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Sorry for the brief answer @Nobby! I was at work (truck) and on my phone. I hate trying to type on a phone! And if you and Mr Mills say so, then it is so!
I am almost certain that what you guess and suggest is the case. ie that the actual 'plunger' remains rubbing against the spindle/pin, regardless of the thumbwheel etc (the spring looks a bit wonky!) . A careful dismantle is in order! I have some 'light oil' (made for electric razors/shavers, which my eldery father insisted on buying, against my advice, for approx £10 million per pint.)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have had to clean the plunger a few times. I think polish gets in there and dries. Your light oil should do the trick and you can push it back into the inoperable position with a matchstick on bbq bamboo skewer.

You can use the seam of an old shirt to polish the centrepin and even its tip, and a cotton bud in a drill bit to polish the bush in the spool. Polishing the base of the grub screw is a bit technical but it can be done, but bear in mind the best turning reel I ever saw ( over 3 minutes!) had quite a pit in the tip...I imagine it sored a little oil?

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Bobby’s advice is spot on as always.
I would just qualify the bit about sitting and spinning and stopping the reel as much as you can bear.
In my case, it is as much as my other half can bear!
:Scared:

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you all! As some of you correctly surmised.. The 'plunger' was not returning, regardless of the thumbwheel! I gave it some gentle TLC this AM, and I thought I had solved and resolved all of the 'issues...
I also removed an heroic quantity of line from the spool, at least four different colours, breaking-strains etc, all knotted together, brittle and horrid and obviously nearly as old as me!
And so! Having pushed back the plunger, I gave the reel a spin, and it was much, much, better!
I then gave it a further attack with a Q-tip and solvent and a dribble of oil, and adjusted (fiddled with) the grub-screw. The reel then would turn freely enough to begin with, but now made a graunchy/grindy noise and came to a stop. After a while of grub-screw adjusting I gave up, with the reel still grinding (could it be the spool somehow wobbling and rubbing against the reel-back?)
So now, much later, I thought I would make a little video, to show you lot what I meant...
And it has miraculously got better without my or your attention! There is still a slight noise, and it is not perfect. But I guess that the oil has found its way into the important places, and things have settled in to place? If the grub-screw is not perfect, can the spool rub against the reel back? Or could the spool or back be slightly bashed/bent? In any case, the reel is now much better, and is almost usable! Thanks again!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sounds like the spindle is worn to a point where it is allowing the spool to rub against the edge of the backplate. Just make sure the spindle screw is tight or it may allow the spindle to move a little which can cause this intermittent problem.
If you would like me to look at the reel, pm me and we can arrange it.

Wal

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I can echo Wals advice to check that the spindle screw on the back is tight after having an intermitent rubbing noise on my Rapidex and having played about the the boss side screw etc before finally noticing the back screw had come loose...
Trevor

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you both! (I love this forum! If I were allowed out in public, people would think I was mad!)

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

SkimmingTheCream wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:12 am I can echo Wals advice to check that the spindle screw on the back is tight after having an intermitent rubbing noise on my Rapidex and having played about the the boss side screw etc before finally noticing the back screw had come loose...
Trevor
Hmm! The big screw on the back-plate did not "want" to move, and so we agreed to "leave well alone" Should I?

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”