Fly tying trick !

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Fly tying trick !

Post by Santiago »

I still consider myself new to fly tying and up until a few days ago I've been following book advice on how to tie etc; especially the first stage of simply winding the thread onto the hook etc. But somewhere in the back of my mind I'm sure I read about another way, otherwise I 've made it up, as I am liable to experiment with most things, be it float making or cooking etc.

Anyways, with the thread I do the exact opposite to the basic method. Firstly, after winding on enough thread to catch , I form the head, but just a third of it, then I form what I call a collar a few mm from the head; this forms a groove between the head and the collar. I then tie in all the other bits like tinsel, seals fur etc., etc., and then when it comes to tying in the final hackle I tie it into the groove which proves to be very helpful in stopping it slip as I'm winding it on and helps keep the hackle compact and neat. The collar also aids tying the hackle in place. I also find it helps stopping the thread/ bobbin falling from the eye whilst I'm fiddling winding the hackle on.

Once the final hackle is on I then finish off the head to finish.

Since using this method I'm finding tying flies much less fiddly and quicker to tie!

Your thoughts much appreciated !
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Fly tying trick !

Post by Santiago »

So how do you chaps tie in the thread at the initial stage ? I'll post pics of some of my efforts later when I next have WiFi.

Hemingway

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I start about 1/4 hook length back from the eye and use open turns down the hook. This helps secure the body, ribbing etc. on the journey back from the tail. I leave the gap so the hook eye is clear when I tie off.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I start the thread at the eye and wind down. I can see where the collar idea helps keep the hackle tight when winding Santiago.
Fly tying can be improved to help you do what you need to do and there are still little things that can make a difference, for example I used to find it difficult to dub onto thread and then push it up to the hook, especially when waxing the thread first. I finally realised the thing to do is turn the vice so the hook bend is facing up haha. A simple but handy trick.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

This only goes to show that there's no wrong way when it comes to tying flies, unless it doesn't come out the way you wanted it to. The end result is what really matters. Then again, keeping in mind that there are fishing flies and gifting flies. You all have probably read when I have posted, I can tie a fly in ten minutes that will catch a fish, then tie the same fly in 20 minutes that will catch a fisherman. The difference? It's the quality of material for one. When I'm tying for a gift I want the best looking material I can get, and it's hard to do at times. To find perfect duck quills is rare. Then you can steam them if they are not perfect and hopefully bring them back into shape. If not, they get used for my fly box.

Now that I kind of went off subject ( sorry Santiago ) let me get back to the subject.
That's a great idea making the head first, if you can keep the head size in the size that works with the body size. Then again, you can make a very small head, tie in the body and then the hackle and then add more to the head if necessary. This is a trick I will have to play with, Santiago.

Also, if you start tying 2mm behind the hook eye, tie in the body behind where you started your thread wrap, then before you tie in the hackle, wrap your thread around the shank making a smooth level area between the body and the eye, then you'll have a nice area for your hackle and it won't slide down to the eye. That is the most common way, but Ian, once again you showed us another fantastic way to do this.

I just bought a book called, The Fly Tyer's Benchside Reference, and this book doesn't show you how to tie any specific fly, but shows you many different tricks on how to tie any fly. It's worth having.

Thanks for sharing your idea, Santiago. :Thumb:
Last edited by Iasgair on Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Isagair! Not sure about the name change though !

Hemingway

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Santiago wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:55 pm Cheers Isagair! Not sure about the name change though !
Sorry Santiago! My bad. I just saw Ian's name being the last to post before me and for some reason I kept typing his name. But I fixed it.

I can be an idiot at times. :Hahaha:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

No worries , I thought it was quite funny!

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”