Korean Budget Suveran

The ABU Reels forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Korean Budget Suveran

Post by Ljm183 »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:51 pm
Ljm183 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:37 pm
Northern_Nomad wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:18 pm Always wanted a pukka Suveran, a 1000/2000 size for small float work and a 3000/4000 for all round and lead/ feeder fishing. There always seemed to be other things that diverted my limited fishing funds elsewhere.

The Swedish Suverans are the pinnacle of reel engineering.

How do these compare?
Not having seen a Suveran in the flesh i couldn't compare the two, although this Korean version looks to be well made, only time will tell.

It is almost identical. I was musing about the inner components and engineering because the Swedish version is full of innovative solutions to the usual constraints which the fixed spool throws up.

It looks to be a fine reel :Thumb:

I’m envious :Hat:
Close up of the schematic

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That looks really nice Lee! I did once buy a Swedish made Suveran, but I believe it was 'refurbished' by someone in this country using some spares and I didn't like it at all! Hope your one performs as well as it looks! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:11 pm That looks really nice Lee! I did once buy a Swedish made Suveran, but I believe it was 'refurbished' by someone in this country using some spares and I didn't like it at all! Hope your one performs as well as it looks! :Hat:
Hi Ted, I bought one as soon as they came out, it was a great reel and saw plenty of use without any problems. So good in fact I bought another one a few years later but this one was awful, it kept jamming solid and apparently it was the one way bearing which decided to turn into a no way bearing. This was exchanged by the local tackle shop under warranty. The new one was fine apart from terrible line twist. I tried different line and all the things they suggested but I just couldn't live with it. I changed back to Mitchell Quartz reels and they are still my favourite "modern" reel.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Here for comparison are some details of the CD reels and the Suveran.
ImageImageImageImage

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:39 am
Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:11 pm That looks really nice Lee! I did once buy a Swedish made Suveran, but I believe it was 'refurbished' by someone in this country using some spares and I didn't like it at all! Hope your one performs as well as it looks! :Hat:
Hi Ted, I bought one as soon as they came out, it was a great reel and saw plenty of use without any problems. So good in fact I bought another one a few years later but this one was awful, it kept jamming solid and apparently it was the one way bearing which decided to turn into a no way bearing. This was exchanged by the local tackle shop under warranty. The new one was fine apart from terrible line twist. I tried different line and all the things they suggested but I just couldn't live with it. I changed back to Mitchell Quartz reels and they are still my favourite "modern" reel.

Wal.
What you have said is interesting regarding the Swedish Suveran reels Wal, I am glad it was not just me that had a bad experience! Abu have produced some wonderful products and I just didn't expect to find any fault! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

I'm happy with my Cardinal 44X, 54, 155 & 55s, 66s and 77s thanks.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I have one of the original Swedish versions, and it is a beautiful piece of engineering, smooth and balanced .
But I still think those grey plastic disks look SO tacky.
And why have an entire ring of grooved plastic, when a simple little anti-reverse lever will do?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Banksy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:30 am I have one of the original Swedish versions, and it is a beautiful piece of engineering, smooth and balanced .
But I still think those grey plastic disks look SO tacky.
And why have an entire ring of grooved plastic, when a simple little anti-reverse lever will do?
That ring of plastic was supposed to be usable with one finger while holding the rod, it didnt always work of course, it took quite a bit of effort at times to engage or disengage the anti-reverse, and nigh on impossible when the reel was under load. I think they used the styling to catch anglers imaginations and to justify the price.
The Shimano's in the same price brackets are much nicer reels to use, to be honest.

Return to “ABU Reels”