Interesting Shaped Sealey Hooks.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Interesting Shaped Sealey Hooks.

Post by Mr B »

Paul F wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:58 pm Mr B, with respect, I think you are trying to justify a old hook pattern which should not be used, and quite frankly should be thrown in the bin, that is why they were only £2 for 100 !
As I said.... in anticipation.
All comments welcome and no offence taken.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Santiago wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:23 pm They look like plastic worm hooks to me. An American pattern used for Texas rigging possibly .
That was my thought too. If they had a turned-out eye I'd say certainly, but even without it is still very likely that's what they are.

I used to correspond with Clyde A. Harbin Sr. (AKA "The Bassman") - now sadly departed - and he used to go to great lengths to obtain English made Sealey hooks, which he swore by.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I think Sealey were quite an innovative hook designer in their day. I used to use their Speedbarb pattern when I was much younger and found it to be a very effective hooker. Unfortunately, they cut the barbs quite deep and the points occasionally broke off so I stopped using them.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think that is a bit strong PaulF - perhaps you should abandon the cane and get up to date! That 6 letter word beginning C and ending in N comes to mind! :Chuckle: :Chuckle:

Those hooks are very similar to the well known Partridge - the renowned hook makers - companies Sebastien Rat Carp Hooks. I have about 50 of them.
I believe they are called 'Half Circle Hooks'. Pictures available via Google. (Add: They are Partridge F5 Semi Circle.)

With circle hooks being promoted rather than trebles for piking - - perhaps they are worth a try! :Hat:

I also have plastic worm/shad hooks - they too come in a variety of shapes - to be used in a variety of ways from weedless - to jigging!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well, for those who are interested.
Found the same hooks from a different seller.

It reads..

A Box of 100 Sealey
Worming Hooks, Size 4,
Pattern 1741B.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Mr B wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:31 am Well, for those who are interested.
Found the same hooks from a different seller.

It reads..

A Box of 100 Sealey
Worming Hooks, Size 4,
Pattern 1741B.
Mr B.
Probably for the American market at the time of manufacture. I bought a few myself (not Sealey) in the late nineties before the use of plastic worms etc. became popular over here. Harris Angling use to sell them for Texas and Carolina rigs.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”