Who can fish this section?

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Wakou
Rudd

Who can fish this section?

Post by Wakou »

Hi guys! As we all know, the grass is always greener, (and the chub are always fatter) on the other side of the fence.
And so. My club has an approx 2 mile section of the Roding, near to Stapleford Tawney. It is a virtually unfishable ditch! Our section runs down as far as the M25. If you cross under the motorway, the river changes character dramatically! (is there a spring or other tributary?) It is wider and deeper, and much less overgrown (right now it is covered in duckweed, but that is a seasonal thing), for about a mile or so to Passingford Bridge.... (and further below?)
But who owns or manages this stretch? The land is "rewilded swamp" with many recently planted willows, the ground squidgy underfoot in places. I suspect a gov't agency, the Highways Authority or the EA or similar, and the trees have been planted for flood-management purposes? The river looks very nice indeed...
I poached it for a bit yesterday, using worms. A few bites but I did not hit anything.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Who can fish this section?

Post by Tengisgol »

I will PM you Sir later as I know this area very well. I can tell you this though - there has been some theft in the area recently. As a result, the landowners above and below now have a watch on (and a WhatsApp group) and they are absolutely itching to catch someone fishing without permission and will be prosecuting under the Theft Act for the theft of fishing rights.

My advice is to stay well clear unless you have permission.

A number of us here run fisheries and if I catch a poacher I can promise them similar treatment. Always ask first - no permission, no fishing!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

From Tracey's Farm , known as the Stanford rivers section under the bridge at Shonks Mill Road through Mitchell's farm to the M25 motorway bridge was Billericay and District angling club. The plyons in Mitchell's farm was a good swim on a bend and about 7ft deep. The Otters were introduced and they have spread upto high Ongar stuffing themselves on everything in on or near the water. The Kings fishers , Coots, Moorhens and Ducks have gone. Crayfish are gone and all the large fish are gone.( Big Meal for little effort. ) My Club Castle had a match on the High Ongar stretch on sunday 12th and too many people have dropped out. God willing I will be going Sunday even if I,m on my own. We still have Minnows, Gudgeon , Roach, Bullhead , a form of stone loach and anything else too small for the Otters. If I catch and I'm am the only one there I will come first and last!. I would like to fish pole feeder in a swim where the Cripsey Brook enters the Roding. After the Rain I may have to go to the top end stretch as the bottom stretch may be flooded. I will fish the open deep swims above the stepped weir. Passingford bridge to the M25 Motorway bridge was sold to a farmer that wanted to use it for grazing. however this is a flood plain and 750mm down is gravel that's why he has planted lots of trees to try to dry out the ground . Under the M25 motorway bridge and the swims above upstream I have caught Common Carp, Tench , Chub, Roach, Rudd, Perch and Pike. Those fish are not there anymore.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

I have pulled the tendons in my left leg and the last time I went fishing was in June after the season started. Desperate to get out Sunday.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

I have told the club I am not going however the river Roding flow is perfect.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Everyone caught however the winner caught under 2lbs, to win this, before the Otters turned up it would be 7Lbs +. I am itching to get out. I am a Thames lock and Weir permit holder however want to fish the Roding where the Cripsey Brook enters the Roding.

Return to “River Roding”