Gentle chute

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Pinhead

Gentle chute

Post by Pinhead »

Just discovered a "gentle chute" advertised on eBay and, never having come across such a thing before, was fascinated to learn how these were used and why they were shaped thus.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: Gentle chute

Post by Mike Wilson »

Forget what Jamie Maxtone Graham says in 'Fishing Tackle of Yesterday'. Its wrong. He was not a coarse angler.
It was attached to your belt and the bait [maggots] would fall into the wide part of the funnel. When you wanted a maggot it was tipped up so bait went into the top part and a bait was picked out and attached to you hook. When you let it go the bait would fall back down into the funnel part until needed again. First made around 1904 by Miller.
Remember in those times maggots were procured from the odd dead pigeon/carrion and even 1/2 a pint was a lot. You had to collect your own as they were not available from tackle shops as far as I'm aware

Mike

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thanks Mike. I thought it must be something like that, due to the shape, but I wasn't sure.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I've just located this old thread with a search (rather than create a new one).

The reason being that I picked up this pair recently, having been on the lookout for quite a while.

Interesting things and quite an ingenious design for carrying and dispensing small quantities of 'gentles' - the name my Dad always used for them, never maggots.

The larger of these two should hold a ¼ pint quite easily, so will be getting an outing to the bank in due course.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I love em John, I have one still with the original black Japaned finish, also a nice Cummings kidney shape bait tin with belt loops, cream interior circa 1890's

ImageImage
ImageImage

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Lovely old objects those Paul. :Cool:

I like the W. J.Cummins' bait tin especially.

A few of the gentlemen in this old photo are sporting similar, some on their belts and some on straps across the chest.

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The kidney shaped bait box is still available today - used as in the past for bait - mostly worms it seems.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”