Centaure River for spares ???

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Centaure River for spares ???

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImage
I found this on 'that site' just recently.A Centaure River model with an original Centaure carry case.The rear 'prong' on the foot was bent down at a horrible angle so the reel was purchased as a likely parts donor.Other than the deformed foot,the reel was in excellent working condition but very dirty so I gave it a thorough cleaning.I decided not to put some heat to the foot for fear of burning off the paint so,with some pliers,I gently tried to straighten the prong.Unsurprisingly it broke off.So,with some Metal epoxy resin it has been reattached.I'll tidy up the repair when all properly cured.If the fix isn't sound it'll have to be a parts reel which was my intention anyway.The Centaure carry case was 50% of wanting the deal as they very rarely appear for sale.TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Re: Centaure River for spares ???

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:26 pm ImageImageImageImageImage
I found this on 'that site' just recently.A Centaure River model with an original Centaure carry case.The rear 'prong' on the foot was bent down at a horrible angle so the reel was purchased as a likely parts donor.Other than the deformed foot,the reel was in excellent working condition but very dirty so I gave it a thorough cleaning.I decided not to put some heat to the foot for fear of burning off the paint so,with some pliers,I gently tried to straighten the prong.Unsurprisingly it broke off.So,with some Metal epoxy resin it has been reattached.I'll tidy up the repair when all properly cured.If the fix isn't sound it'll have to be a parts reel which was my intention anyway.The Centaure carry case was 50% of wanting the deal as they very rarely appear for sale.TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
The repair was a complete failure.Parts it is...

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I wonder what the story of the bent foot was! Well done for trying to mend it. I'm assuming it's unusable as is?
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

MWithell wrote: ↑Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am I wonder what the story of the bent foot was! Well done for trying to mend it. I'm assuming it's unusable as is?
Yes,the foot was bent almost straight down so I knew that trying to straighten it was doomed to fail.I began removing the excess epoxy but the repair came apart.I'll have another attempt by cutting in some slots and adding some small metal rods before encasing it with epoxy again.I'll let you know how I get on...

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:12 am
MWithell wrote: ↑Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am I wonder what the story of the bent foot was! Well done for trying to mend it. I'm assuming it's unusable as is?
Yes,the foot was bent almost straight down so I knew that trying to straighten it was doomed to fail.I began removing the excess epoxy but the repair came apart.I'll have another attempt by cutting in some slots and adding some small metal rods before encasing it with epoxy again.I'll let you know how I get on...
So,I've dropped three little metal plates into the slots.I will try the old trick of using superglue and baking soda.For those unfamiliar,it sets like concrete.I've sent her out for superglue.She's taking her time and I'm terribly impatient.Upon her return I'll give her a right telling off but not until after she's cooked dinner.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

ImageImage
Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:13 pm Image
Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:12 am
So,I've dropped three little metal plates into the slots.I will try the old trick of using superglue and baking soda.For those unfamiliar,it sets like concrete.I've sent her out for superglue.She's taking her time and I'm terribly impatient.Upon her return I'll give her a right telling off but not until after she's cooked dinner.
Me again,Here's the repair with baking powder and superglue.I've done a bit of filing to tidy it up and it doesn't look bad at all.The join is very strong and I'm quite pleased with myself.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Return to β€œOther Reels”