Problem with Relum Centrepin

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Problem with Relum Centrepin

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have a Relum Centrepin but there is a problem with the central brass bush fitted to the backplate which is a one piece fitting.It has become very slightly loose so that it rotates and wobbles a fraction so when the spool is fitted it therefore causes some movement.
Before I contact Garry Mills has anyone got a simple suggestion as to how to fix the bush satisfactorily so there is no movement or should I just send it to Garry?
ImageImageImage

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Problem with Relum Centrepin

Post by Paul F »

It looks like it has a slot for a screwdriver?
I'd remove it, put a dab of loctite tgread lock on the thread and retighten, it shouldn't happen again.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Sorry no
There are 2 pins on the spindle that fit into that slot. The bush is in one piece and cannot be removed but thanks anyway.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I have never seen one of these close up, but it appears that the slotted central brass bush has been pressed into the backplate, relying on its tight fit to prevent movement.
If there is already detectable movement, it’s not going to go away and has to be sorted out.

It might be possible to work in some Loctite from the outside, not the slotted side-but the most permanent method would be to press it out, re-size the relevant diameter and re-press it in again with the right tooling.

I have a good bench press that would do the job. The Mill Tackle Company are the experts but send a PM if you would like me to help..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Thanks for the offer WM I will let Garry have a look at it when we have the next Romsey Fair in March/April as I have a couple of other reels that need attention.
I was just hoping there was something simple I could do but my engineering skills are non existent. But thanks again.
Mike

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I had a similar problem once - can’t remember what reel it was - but I put a flat rubber washer on when I tighten it all up, which grabbed all bits, and it absolutely did the trick.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Thanks for the suggestion but doesn't work on this design reel
Mike

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”